Office Assistant 4
Lakeshore Center (Houghton, MI)
Full-Time Equivalent (1.0=100%)
Salary or Hourly Rate
External candidates will receive the minimum amount ($11.22/hr)
Position Duration Dependent on External Funding?
Title of Position Supervisor
Executive Assistant to Human Resources
Position Summary Information
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job Description Summary
Perform clerical and administrative support functions for the Human Resources department. Provide excellent customer service to a wide variety of customers. Positively represent the department and respond effectively to the needs of all customers, including but not limited to faculty, staff, students, applicants, and visitors.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
1. Greet and assist customers in a friendly, courteous manner.
2. Receive, screen, and route telephone calls.
3. Answer routine questions or provide information on established departmental programs or services or processes.
4. Receive and route mail and assist with any department shipping needs.
5. Effectively coordinate meeting times and places, including arranging for rooms, equipment, refreshments, etc.
6. Act as front-line contact for obtaining employment paperwork.
7. Act as front-line contact for student health insurance program. Establish and maintain student insurance files.
8. Act as front-line contact for and maintain the employment verification process.
9. Order and/or maintain office supply inventory according to department process.
10. Maintain confidentiality of all information.
11. Assist with special projects, functions, and events.
12. SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES : Functional supervision may be exercised over student office assistants.
13. Integrate safety practices into daily activities.
14. Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work. Actively engage in University continuous improvement initiatives.
Required Education (minimum requirements)
• High school diploma, or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired.
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
• Two years office/clerical experience.
• Two years experience using personal computers and basic software packages including word processing and database/spreadsheet applications.
• Two years experience providing excellent service in a customer service role.
Desirable Education and/or Experience
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)
• Excellent interpersonal, customer service, and written/oral communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to learn and follow instruction.
• Demonstrated ability to independently organize and prioritize multiple work assignments.
• Demonstrated ability to work with accuracy and attention to detail.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with frequent and multiple interruptions.
• Demonstrated knowledge of proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
• Demonstrated excellent attendance record and interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated ability to be flexible and detail-oriented in a changing environment.
• Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team and contribute to the overall smooth operation of an office.
• Demonstrated commitment to contribute to a safe work environment.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty, and staff.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
Language, Mathematical, and/or Reasoning Skills
LANGUAGE SKILLS :
Ability read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos, Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS :
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
REASONING ABILITY :
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems in standardized situations.
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
PHYSICAL DEMANDS : The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an : employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to sit; talk or hear; and use hands to finger, handle, or feel an object.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT : The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee may regularly be required to lift up to 10 pounds. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Every employee at Michigan Technological University will receive the following 3 required trainings; additional training may be required by the department.
Required University Training: **
• Employee Safety Overview
• Sexual Harassment Training
• Annual Data Security Training
Required Departmental Training: *
• Cultural Competency Training
Posting Detail Information
Internal & External Posting
Internal Posting Date
External Posting Date
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants (if applicable)
Michigan Tech is an internationally renowned doctoral research university located in Houghton, MI in Michigan’s scenic Upper Peninsula, on the south shore of Lake Superior. The area provides a unique setting where natural beauty, culture, education, and a diversity of residents from around the world come together to share a superb living and learning experience.
Michigan Technological University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer/educational institution. Applications from women and minorities are encouraged.
UAW Internal/External Posting
Michigan Technological University - 9 months ago
Michigan Tech (www.mtu.edu) is ranked among the top public universities in the country by U.S. News & World Report. The university has...