The Open Society Foundations work to build vibrant and tolerant societies whose governments are accountable and open to the participation of all people.
We seek to strengthen the rule of law; respect for human rights, minorities, and a diversity of opinions; democratically elected governments; and a civil society that helps keep government power in check.
We help to shape public policies that assure greater fairness in political, legal, and economic systems and safeguard fundamental rights.
We implement initiatives to advance justice, education, public health, and independent media.
We build alliances across borders and continents on issues such as corruption and freedom of information.
Working in every part of the world, the Open Society Foundations place a high priority on protecting and improving the lives of people in marginalized communities.
The OSI Washington, D.C. office represents the international and domestic work of OSI and the Soros Foundations network.
Purpose of Position
The Open Society Institute-Washington Office seeks an Office Assistant to provide general assistance on office-wide activities. The position will report to the Facility Manager.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. OSF may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
- Open the office and perform daily opening task;
- Provide back-up receptionist services, including coverage of a.m. break, leave and fill in when necessary, arranging couriers, and booking meetings;
- Maintain office filing systems, including record retention, materials storage and/or destruction; prepare, maintain and update various records in storage;
- Order and maintain supplies and materials through accurate inventory system;
- Maintain Excel spreadsheet for spending on office supplies;
- Resolve equipment problems (e.g., call service vendors, coordinate service and follow-up on service, troubleshooting on usage of equipment, etc.)
- Assist with meetings and events including setting up, breaking down, escorting guests, making logistical arrangements, and other tasks as needed;
- Order office stationery including business cards;
- Collect staff leave and coordinate submission of leave with Human Resources in New York;
- Ensure the kitchen area, meeting rooms and mail room are kept clean and organized;
- Sort and distribute office mail and maintain accurate mailboxes;
- Maintain vendor files;
- Work with cleaning company to ensure office cleanliness;
- Act as back-up on building maintenance trouble tickets;
- Provide clerical support to assist designated program staff in the completion of their duties and responsibilities, as directed by the Facility Manager or Director of Administration;
- Assist with organizing office-wide social events such as holiday events, birthday celebrations;
- Assist with maintaining furniture fixed assets audits;
- Update the bulletin board by posting and removing outdated materials
- Assist with special projects as assigned;
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Facility Manager or Director of Administration.
Education / Experience
- Associates Degree plus two to four years administrative/office experience or equivalent combination of higher education and experience
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- NGO or foundation experience/interest in social justice preferred
- Experience in an administrative/office setting
- Excellent written, verbal, organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent computer skills, proficient in Microsoft Office;
- Excellent listening and communication skills with sensitivity to cultural communication differences;
- Show discretion and ability to handle confidential issues;
- High level of self-motivation and at ease working independently when necessary;
- Poised and works well under pressure;
- Attentive to detail and prioritizes often simultaneously on a wide range of tasks and projects;
- Flexibility and willingness to work simultaneously on a wide range of tasks and projects and ability to prioritize tasks;
- Pleasant, diplomatic manner and disposition in interacting with senior management, co-workers and the general public.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting with a low level of noise. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits package.
Please email resume, cover letter and writing sample with salary requirements before May 3, 2013 to: firstname.lastname@example.org Include job code in subject line: OA-DC.
Open Society Foundations - 17 months ago