TITLE: Office Manager, Support the Director of Administration and Procurement
REPORTING TO: Director, Administration & Procurement
LOCATION: Population Council International Head Quarters , One Dag Hammarskjold Plaza, New York, NY
JOB SUPERVISES: Three (3) staff members: Administrative Assistant II; Receptionist/Administrative Assistant; Receiving & Distribution Administrator
SALARY: Depends on qualifications and experience.
ASSIGNMENT LENGTH: Indefinite
POSITION SUMMARY: The Population Council (Council) is an international nonprofit, nongovernmental institution that seeks to improve the well-being and reproductive health of current and future generations around the world. Current the Council has 13 offices throughout Africa, Asia and Latin America, and works in 30 countries.
The Office Manager, will assist/support the Director, Administration and Procurement, and will be responsible for creating and maintaining Council-wide policies, in the areas of: emergency planning, staff safety, procurement, and travel. The Office Manager will also supervise the three Office Services (OS) staff members who are responsible for all mail, receiving, supplies, reception, and other administrative functions of the Office Services department.
The Office Manager will perform outreach to the international offices in policy matters. The Office Manager will represent the Director, Administration & Procurement, at meetings, during absences, etc. as needed.
1. Provide Council-wide policy creation, review and update by establishing standards and procedures based on research and collaboration and review with other staff in the areas of emergency planning, staff safety and travel.
2. Provide point of contact for international offices in matters pertaining to travel, procurement, safety, and document retention.
3. Maintain office operations of reception and mail/supply room by supervision of receptionist/administrative assistant, administrative assistant II and receiving & distribution administrator.
a. Review and approve purchase requisitions for stocked office supplies.
b. Monitor inventory of fixed and vulnerable assets at Council Head Quarters. Assist all other offices with software implementation and monitor use.
c. Monitor international pouch deliveries; analyze cost and provide cost saving recommendations.
d. Assure timely receipt of goods and services in Great Plains software and generate reports verifying that receiving records are clear and that purchase orders are closed.
e. Assure a welcoming, attractive and secure office area by working with their staff to monitor all areas for cleanliness, safety and security.
4. Oversee OS and redistributed budget by tracking expenses on a monthly basis and providing Excel reports as needed.
5. Provide historical reference by defining procedures for retention, protection, retrieval, transfer, and disposal of records. Work with international office managers in providing guidance to create retention schedules throughout all Council locations.
6. Provide staff with yearly ergonomic assessments and new staff with OS orientation.
7. Provide review and approval of invoices up to $5k in value and provide backup approval during director absence.
8. Assist director in areas of space planning & assignment, construction, international shipping, leasing, procurement, event planning, etc.
1. Prior Office Manager experience with at least five years of relevant experience required.
Excellent customer service skills and experience in communicating effectively in English by email, phone, etc. with staff. This position requires interaction with international staff, so any experience within an international organization is a benefit.
2. Affinity with numbers and mathematical equations. Ability to perform basic financial analysis.
3. Outstanding personnel skills are required and a clear, proven track record supervising or managing a staff (minimum 5 years supervisory experience).
4. Excellent writing skills in order to document ideas, perform research, provide policy templates and be able to send out informational/instructional emails to a large audience.
5. Must display leadership and motivation skills and willingness to train and develop staff skills.
6. Strong organizational skills and ability to produce with competing priorities. Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, in addition to also functioning well as part of a team.
7. Outstanding computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint. Knowledge or willingness to learn database program(s).
The Population Council is an international, nonprofit, nongovernmental institution that seeks to improve the well-being and reproductive health of current and future generations around the world and to help achieve a humane, equitable, and sustainable balance between people and resources. The Council conducts biomedical, social science, and public health research and helps build research capacities in developing countries. Established in 1952, the Council is governed by an international board of trustees. Its New York headquarters supports a global network of country offices. We are seeking an individual to fill the position described. If you know of a qualified candidate or are interested in this position, please apply to:
Mr. Benjamin Bilbao, Recruitment Manager
The Population Council provides equal opportunity; it does not discriminate against any person with regard to age, color, creed, national origin, disability, political belief, veteran status, religion, marital status, gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation. Decisions on employment are based on an individual’s qualifications as related to the position for which s/he is being considered. The Council especially encourages applications from qualified women and members of minority groups. The Population Council is international in the composition of its board of trustees and its staff, as well as in the nature and deployment of its activities.
Population Council - 24 months ago