The office manager is the first and primary point of contact to the school for parents, visitors, community members, and other external parties. The manager warmly, courteously, and effectively interacts with these parties, ensuring that their experience of the school is consistently positive. The office manager provides a centralized administrative resource to the school and fulfills a range of administrative duties.
The office manager is responsible for the following:
- Greeting and signing in all visitors and controlling access to the school
- Setting the tone for the school’s No Excuses culture
- Answering phone calls, directing calls, taking messages, placing outgoing calls, and making public address announcements
- Collecting and maintaining forms and other records, securing missing forms, and ensuring the confidentiality of all student records
- Entering student enrollment data and updating all student records, including student registration and attendance, using the school’s student management software
- Generating and distributing wait list and attrition reports, and continually updating the school’s master enrollment list
- Managing the daily distribution of the students’ bus list
- Ensuring that students leave only with authorized parents or guardians
- Receiving and distributing incoming mail and deliveries, and preparing outgoing mail and deliveries
- Ensuring that the school’s physical environment is at all times neat and orderly, including but not limited to the reception/administrative area, waiting area, copier room, supplies closets, records room, and teacher center
- Planning and preparing for school events and activities
- Processing applications for admission
- Performing all duties designated by the director of operations for the school’s successful functioning, including hallway supervision, arrival/dismissal, and meals
- Attending all professional development sessions, as appropriate
The office manager must be present and engaged from 7:30 am to 4:30 pm each Monday and Friday, except holidays, and work occasional evenings on weeknights and weekends, including parent events. This position has a year-round schedule, with time off for school holidays and vacation.
Staff and Reporting Relationships
The office manager reports to the director of operations.
Qualifications and Skills
Candidates must have:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Two or more years of experience in an office environment, preferably an education-related organization
- Experience using ATS and other city and state database systems
Because many of our students’ families speak Spanish, we will give preference to candidates who can fluently speak and write in Spanish.
The successful candidate will also demonstrate:
- A winning personality and professional demeanor that conveys warmth, caring, responsiveness, and a desire to help at all times
- An interest in people and the capacity to connect sincerely and appropriately with children and their parents
- Thorough attention to detail
- Strong organizational and follow-through skills
- Effective communication skills in speaking and writing; commitment to modeling courteous, appropriate speech in correct English at all times
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks of varying complexity and to stay organized in a fast-paced environment
- A “can-do” attitude and eagerness to be a team player
- Willingness to take feedback and engage in a process of self-improvement
- Robust computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel) and Outlook for email
- Relentlessness in the pursuit of the school’s academic objectives
- Total commitment to the organization’s mission of preparing every child for college, an unwavering belief that all students can achieve at high levels, and passion about urban education and closing the achievement gap
Qualified candidates please visit
Ascend Learning Charter Schools - 18 months ago
Committed to thought and action, Ascend Learning advances bold ideas for closing the achievement gap in urban America—and offers...