o The University of Oregon College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) invites applications for Office Specialist 2 pool. CAS consists of 28 departments and 12 programs and institutes, with over 600 faculty and 100 classified staff. See http://cas.uoregon.edu/ for information about the College.
o This posting is to create a pool of applicants for full and part-time positions within CAS. As openings occur in the various departments, programs and institutes, application materials will be forwarded to the hiring manager. Application materials will remain active in the pool for 90 days and applicants should contact firstname.lastname@example.org to keep their application active.
o These are classified positions represented by SEIU local 503, Oregon Public Employees Union.
o University of Oregon positions that are at least half-time are eligible for excellent benefits, including health and dental, employer-paid retirement, and tuition benefits for employee or an eligible dependent, sick and vacation leave.
o This recruitment is open to any applicant who meets the qualifications listed below.
TO QUALIFY YOU MUST HAVE:
... two years of general clerical experience. One year of which included typing, word processing, or other experience generating documents; OR
... associate's degree in Office Occupations or Office Technology; OR
... graduation from a private school of business with a Certificate in Office Occupations or Office Technology and one year of general clerical experience.
* Proficiency with word processing, spreadsheet, and database computer applications.
* Experience collaborating and communicating effectively in a cross-cultural environment.
* Ability to manage multiple priorities with overlapping deadlines while maintaining a high level of customer service and professionalism.
* Excellent clerical skills, including good judgment, discretion, and flexibility.
* Ability to work well independently and as a member of a team.
Please indicate your clerical skills on the attached skill code sheet.
Position is subject to criminal background check.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Office Specialist 2 provides clerical support to undergraduate and/or graduate programs and and general support for the office. Duties may include:
... providing support for graduate programs, including communicating with prospective and current graduate students in writing, in person and over the phone about application processes and procedures, degree requirements, Graduate School regulations, and deadlines; overseeing application process and reviewing graduate applications, forms, and other documents for completion; maintaining graduate student files; assisting in the scheduling of orientation, workshops, panels, and other events to promote the professional development of graduate students.
... providing support for undergraduate programs, including creating and maintaining undergraduate student files and tracking progress towards degree; processing change of major or minor; providing assistance for faculty directors; preparing a variety of reports from student information system and student data warehouse; coordinating a variety of undergraduate events.
... providing assistance for course scheduling and registration processes, including setting course times according to protocols, rules and faculty preferences; pre-authorizing students for classes; making arrangements for doctoral defenses; maintaining databases; reviewing, updating, and editing UO Catalog.
... providing general office support, including serving as receptionist, answering the telephone, greeting visitors, answering questions and providing university and program information; processing book orders; receiving and distributing mail; assisting faculty and students with the use of office equipment; ordering office supplies and maintaining inventory.
... completing special projects, such as gathering information and statistics for reports, surveys, and other uses; making arrangements for commencement ceremonies, including designing invitations and programs and corresponding with students; preparing and maintaining supplies of program handouts; updating websites; providing clerical support for faculty; taking and distributing meeting minutes; assisting in maintaining records for faculty searches.
To assist us in making the selection for this position, please respond to the following questions on a separate sheet(s) of paper. Number your responses to correspond to the questions and describe experience and training related to each item. Make sure experience and training described in your responses are included on your application.
1. This position performs projects which require organization and analytical skills. Individuals may coordinate course scheduling and provides instructional support, including coordinating course registration, scheduling classrooms, ordering instructional materials, and preparing reports. Describe experience that demonstrates your ability to track complex administrative data, balance competing demands and complete analytical projects under a deadline.
2. This position communicates with university students, faculty, and staff. Describe experience that demonstrates your ability to communicate effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and cultures. Indicate your experience answering the phone and greeting visitors, providing program information, explaining rules and procedures, and otherwise representing an office in communication with others.
3. Describe your experience using a computer to create and maintain spreadsheets and databases, and to word-process reports and other documents. Indicate if you have experience using an automated financial information system and any experience using graphics and web publishing software.
SKILL CODE SHEET:
You must also fill out a skill code sheet for this position. You can pick one up at Human Resources or print one out at http://jobs.uoregon.edu/skillcode.html
University of Oregon - 6 months ago