MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS : High School diploma or equivalent and two years of office experience; completion of a related business certificate program may be substituted for one year of experience. The finalist for a position vacancy will be required to pass a criminal history investigation at County expense prior to beginning employment with Washington County. RESPONSIBILITIES : This position will support child support workers and supervisors with data entry, scanning documents, processing mail,customer service, and creating and maintaining reports. DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE :
Recent paid work experience requiring data entry
Recent paid work experience using Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
Recent paid work experience processing a high volume of incoming documents by scanning
Paid work experience in family or civil law, or a governmental agency SELECTION TECHNIQUE : Your training and experience will be rated based on the required application material submitted and the top scoring candidates will be forwarded to the hiring department for further consideration.
HOURS / DAYS : 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Work schedules (hours and days) and location are subject to change based on department needs. ANTICIPATED HIRING RATE : $13.38/hour
This is office work involving specialized knowledge of procedures, records, and regulations. Work involves the responsibility for the performance of varied duties pertaining to the area of assignment requiring the application of judgment based upon knowledge gained through work experience. The work differs from the Office Generalist class in that this class has duties of greater complexity and variety, employees work with considerably more independence of action and judgment, and with greater responsibility in carrying out office routines. Employees of this class may also serve as a resource for other personnel due to an advanced level of technical knowledge and may be capable of performing any task in the office of assignment. Work is performed under general supervision and is reviewed through observation of operations, and by advice and assistance in unusual or difficult problems.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
Education and Experience: High School diploma or equivalent and two years of office experience; completion of a related business certificate program may be substituted for one year experience, previous experience in the area of assignment desired.
Individuals operating a motor vehicle for County business must possess a valid driver's license.
The finalist for a position vacancy will be required to pass a criminal history investigation at County expense prior to beginning employment with Washington County.
Knowledge: Considerable knowledge of English, spelling, punctuation and mathematics; knowledge of modern office policies, regulations, statutes, procedures, and practices pertaining to the area of specialization; knowledge of bookkeeping principles, practices and procedures pertaining to the area of specialization; knowledge of the legal and technical forms and terminology of the area of specialization; knowledge in personal computers and related software.
Ability to: Follow moderately complex oral and written instructions and to learn the procedures involved in maintaining legal, accounting, or statistical records; ability to use personal computer and related software; ability to make work decisions in accordance with the laws and policies; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the general public; ability to perform complex administrative or research tasks as assigned in an effective manner; ability to maintain and revise records and to control their use and presentation; ability to report to work on a regular and timely basis.
Skill in: The use of office equipment required in the area of specialization; skill in accurate mathematical computations; skill in composing and typing correspondence; skill in keyboarding/typing accurately at a speed of 55 words per minute; skill in computer and related software use.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
1. Prepares memos, correspondence, forms, reports, proofs for accuracy and ensures correct grammar usage.
2. Enters and maintains data in a computer; edits, corrects and verifies; utilizes software programs related to area of assignment.
3. Responds to public inquiries over the phone or in person providing specific detailed or precise technical information relating to the particular departmental function; may act as resource person for all incoming contacts, whether by telephone or in person, and independently determines immediacy of attention based on departmental processes, procedures and deadlines.
4. Collects and records a variety of receipts and disbursements for various funds; compiles data and calculates various financial/statistical reports; initiates purchase orders and follows through on payment of bills.
5. Reviews technical or detailed documents, and determines completeness and acceptability; conducts file searches in order to retrieve the documents.
6. Compiles, calculates, and prepares reports pertaining to the area of assignment.
7. Coordinates recording procedures and recommends policies with respect to efficient flow of records in the office of assignment.
8. Performs administrative duties as assigned and may act as resource person for communication networking with other departments and within the department, maintains records of office equipment/phones and inventory of supplies.
9. Processes incoming and outgoing mail with independent determination of immediacy of attention based on departmental process, procedures and deadlines; delivers mail to county office buildings based on departmental assignment.
10. May review work of other clerical/technical staff; provides direction, trains, monitors and evaluates work product.
11. Performs other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The essential functions for this position are #s 1-9 as listed above.
WORK ENVIRONMENT (GENERAL): Work is sedentary in nature performed within the Government Center or satellite offices. Lifting requirement of 15 - 20 pounds on an occasional basis. Wrist and finger manipulation due to filing, compiling, calculating, or computer work. Equipment used may include, but is not limited to: computer, typewriter, calculator, telephone, copy and fax machine. Additional physical/mental requirements that occur may not be listed above, but are inherent in performing the position's essential functions.
TITLE OF IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR - Varies by department.
This description is intended to describe the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty being performed by people assigned to this classification. The list of responsibilities is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Washington County, MN - 19 months ago