A new opportunity exists at Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America (IAVA), the leading nonprofit dedicated to serving our nation’s heroes and their families. IAVA is seeking an ambitious young professional to manage, grow and engage our 200,000 veterans and supporters.
Reporting to the Digital Engagement Director, the Online Communications Coordinator will have the opportunity to develop content, advise on campaign strategy and train IAVA staff in best practices around online communications. The Online Communications Coordinator will be located in IAVA’s national headquarters in New York City.
The ideal candidate will be an energetic self-starter, as well as:
- Possess excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Have the ability to work both independently and as a team player;
- Demonstrate a creative and entrepreneurial spirit;
- Demonstrate innovative, forward thinking;
- Have interest in and/or experience with driving social change and social movements;
- Have a positive attitude and great sense of humor; and
- A commitment to IAVA’s mission and programs.
Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America (IAVA) is the nation’s first and largest organization dedicated to serving the 2.5 million veterans of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, from their first day home to the rest of their lives. IAVA strives to build an empowered generation of veterans through programs in four key impact areas: Health, Education, Employment and Community.
Health - IAVA makes it a priority to ensure that both mental and physical health needs are being effectively addressed in our community, and has provided support to over 20,000 returning veterans nationwide.
Education - With nearly a million new veterans headed back to school under the New GI Bill, IAVA has provided over 500,000 with the tools and support needed to make informed decisions about their education.
Employment - No veteran should come home from Iraq or Afghanistan to an unemployment check. To fight shockingly high joblessness rates, IAVA’s Combat to Career initiative helped over 270,000 veterans in their transition to civilian careers in 2011.
Community - Less than 1% of the country served in Iraq and Afghanistan – a stark contrast to the 12% that served during WWII. Building community, both online and on-the-ground, is a critical factor in fulfilling IAVA’s mission, which means bridging geographical divides to create a united, supported and proud movement of new veterans.
The Online Communications Coordinator will be responsible for supporting the planning, developing and analyzing of email communications for IAVA. Managing our list of over 200,000 veterans and supporters, the Online Communications Coordinator’s primary goals will be to grow our email list and deepen our email engagement with members and supporters. This person will work with staff across the organization to ensure accurate, effective and nimble online outreach. S/he will also be expected to contribute data analysis and thought leadership to the Engagement Team’s efforts to raise awareness, inspire action and build a two-way conversation with our members and the public. The Online Communications Coordinator will play an important role in shaping our annual email campaigns, as well as promoting programs, sharing news alerts and raising funds at critical moments.
- With guidance from the Digital Engagement Director, lead email content development according to industry best practices and IAVA analytics
- Understand and utilize email metrics to evolve strategies and maximize impact of IAVA’s online communications work and goals
- Identify advocacy and promotional content opportunities
- Execute online email campaigns via Salesforce and Predictive AM
- Provide project management to for key email campaigns and content
- Identify areas for improved processes and implement systems to enhance our email analytics data base, efficient workflow and staff access to data
- Present analytics to colleagues and leadership to inform communications strategy and decision making; train staff to understand and apply data findings in all content development
- Organize and frame data findings, as well as make recommendations on potential organizational strategy and innovations, based upon email analytics
The Online Communications Coordinator must be a great communicator with excellent organizational and data analysis skills, and the following characteristics and experience:
Start Date : Immediate
- BA degree with coursework related to advocacy, communications, marketing or data analysis
- One or two years of experience in the field of online campaigning, communications or marketing
- Experience with our Constituent Relationship Manager, Salesforce, is helpful but not essential
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills – both talking and listening are critically important to success in this role
- Ability to engage staff collaboratively at all levels of the organization
- Excellent writing and presentation skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Able to develop plans with clear goals, roles, timeline, metricsie and budget estimates
- Comfort working in a fast-paced environment that demands rapid content development
Application deadline : Rolling
Salary : Commensurate with experience.
Benefits: IAVA provides comprehensive health and dental coverage, access to vision benefits and a 403(b) retirement plan, in addition to three weeks paid vacation per year.
To Apply : Please send a resume, cover letter, salary history and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org , with “Online Communications Coordinator” in the subject line. Include a cover letter that concisely explains how your experience in online communications could be applied to IAVA. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. No phone calls, please.
Iraq Afghanistan Veterans of America - 13 months ago