Community of Veterans (CoV) is the first and largest online social network exclusively for paperwork-confirmed Iraq and Afghanistan veterans. CoV provides its more than 24,000 members with access to message boards, affinity groups, resources, and live chats with experts on a range of issues – especially those related to mental health. CoV provides veterans with a safe space to share what they’re going through with others who “get it” because they’ve been there too. An informal peer-to-peer support system and means of connecting with resources and experts, CoV is an invaluable gathering space for veterans grappling with PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injuries, depression, and even thoughts of suicide.
The Online Community Intern will be responsible for supporting the IAVA Programs department to promote engagement within CoV through outreach and communications with members, posting content and resources, and scheduling live chats and other events. The Online Community Intern will report to the Senior Program Manager.
The Online Community Intern will:
The Online Community Intern should possess:
- Interact with Iraq and Afghanistan veterans online and off by conducting outreach to promote CoV sign-ups at IAVA events and interacting with veteran members in CoV
- Learn about methods for digital outreach and engagement, through drafting social media announcements and blog posts, and through planning and executing online events, such as webinars and live chats
- Learn about mental health issues affecting this generation of veterans and gain exposure to key resources
- Enhance skills in data analysis by monitoring and reporting on trends among CoV member needs and interests
- Assist with creating and executing a crisis prevention and response system within CoV
Special Qualification Requirement
- Excellent organization skills
- Strong communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills
- The ability to work well with others and independently, with a sense of humor and a professional demeanor
- A positive attitude and a passion for veterans issues and community building
To maintain the integrity of the CoV site, the Program Intern, CoV must be a veteran of Iraq or Afghanistan. Evidence of service, such as DD214 forms, will need to be provided before an offer is finalized.