Excelsior College, a private, independently chartered institution and recognized leader in the field of alternative higher education, seeks applicants for the position of
Online Instructional Technologist
The Online Instructional Technologist will provide multimedia and instructional design expertise for developing and revising instructional content for online and CD-ROM courses. Working collaboratively with College faculty and staff, the Online Instructional Technologist will use learning methodologies appropriate to adult learner needs to create learning-oriented multimedia. Additional responsibilities include conducting faculty developer orientations, supporting academic web conferences, and leading or collaborating on special projects and initiatives that require multimedia and instructional design expertise.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work in collaboration with subject matter experts, faculty program directors, and unit members to develop media-rich online courses;
- Create, revise, repurpose, or locate and adapt multimedia materials for distance teaching and learning;
- Serve as multimedia design expert for course developers, recommending instructional strategies for adult learners which address diverse learning styles, abilities, and backgrounds;
- Oversee the deployment of multimedia within the course management system (Blackboard), web conference environment, and other applications used for online teaching and learning;
- Lead research and testing of new applications and software supporting multimedia assets;
- Apply current research and theory to the practice of instructional design;
- Evaluate and ensure the quality, accuracy, and effectiveness of instructional materials within the context of Quality Matters and College policies;
- Develop, implement, and evaluate training materials for faculty and staff use;
- Recommend policies and procedures that improve the course development and revision process and promote collaboration, partnerships and relationships among departments;
- Identify and help resolve ethical and legal implications of multimedia use in online education;
- Maintain current knowledge of multimedia development and instructional design theories and attend/ present at professional conferences, as required.
Occasional travel for conference attendance and presentation.
Other qualifications include:
- Master's degree in Instructional Design, Educational Technology or a related area;
- Minimum of 3 years experience in education or training environment, with an emphasis on distance learning and multimedia development;
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of learning theories and instructional design in an online environment;
- Proficiency in HTML, XHTML, HTML5, XML, and CSS;
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of JAVA, PHP, and other dynamic scripting languages;
- Advanced knowledge of applications used to create interactive instructional materials such as Articulate Studio, Articulate Storyline, Audacity, Adobe Creative Suite tools, Camtasia, SoftChalk, Web 2.0 tools, and related open-source software;
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills;
- Prior experience with a course management system;
- Experience with online learning standards including SCORM, Section 508 requirements, and web usability practices;
- College teaching experience preferred.
The candidate must have the ability to work independently as well as in a team environment. The candidate must also possess advanced organizational skills and flexible interpersonal communication skills to ensure that specialized projects and the daily work flow are organized, prioritized, and accurately completed within prescribed timeframes.
Excelsior College offers competitive salaries in addition to a generous benefit package that includes paid time off, retirement and excellent health insurance. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, resume, salary history, and the names of three professional references either to
; or mail to:
Human Resources Office
Online Instructional Technologist Search
7 Columbia Circle
Albany, NY 12203-5159
InsideHigherEd.com - 17 months ago
Founded as Regents College in 1971 and chartered as a private, nonprofit institution in 1998, the College was renamed Excelsior College in...