The online news editor is responsible for maintaining the accuracy, timeliness and presentation of content at news-record.com and News & Record social media and multimedia channels for videos, photo galleries and audio presentations, and for presenting content to attract the biggest possible audience.
This person is equal parts urgency and eye for detail, and should have proven ability in editing, reporting, sourcing and deadline news writing. This person understands multimedia story-telling and a digital-first environment. S/he is comfortable adapting print copy for the web and web for print and knows how to use social media to promote stories and engage readers.
This person has or is dedicated to developing an institutional knowledge of the community geography, business, government, newsmakers and news leaders. He or she is “wired” to Greensboro and Guilford County. This person has solid news judgment and journalism ethics and stays up-to-date on trends and developments in digital news and technology.
The online news editor/day produces content and processes content from the breaking news staff, photojournalists, beat reporters and outside users. S/he collaborates with other online news editors and with members of the Content Delivery Team. The person mentors breaking news reporters and other staff as needed and works with other News & Record editors.
S/he reports to the Digital Content Editor.
- Create and update written copy, video, photo and audio content for news-record.com.
- Convert digital content items to print as needed and print items to web.
- Oversee breaking news staff to make sure public safety items are posted and that previous stories are followed and advanced.
- Brainstorm ways content from competitors can be updated rather than aggregated whenever possible.
- Redistribute content on web so that site remains fresh, and that items that generate the most traffic get appropriate play.
- Line edit web copy submitted by breaking news and reporting staff.
- Write headlines that engage readers and are honed for search engine optimization.
- “Read out” web site to ensure quality editing and presentation.
- Edit photos, video and audio for posting, when necessary.
- Act as rewrite editor for breaking news reporters and staff reporters out on assignment.
- Act as backup breaking news reporter.
- Suggest ideas for incremental updates and long-term follows of news stories posted on news-record.com.
- Post, update and (when possible and smart) localize copy from state and national wires.
- Monitor public safety emails, wires and competitor web sites.
- Monitor comments on news-record.com stories, Facebook and Twitter accounts.
- Post to N-R social media sites including Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest to promote N-R stories and encourage user-generated content.
- Monitor story placement to keep site fresh and to give good play to content with potential to generate high traffic.
- Compose or assist with composing of N&R newsletter.
- Create daily online metrics reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
News writing, editing, reporting, fact checking, AP style, search engine optimization and SEO headline writing, social media, experience with print news and web content management systems, digital photography, videography, field audio production, digital photo, video and audio editing software such as iMovie, Audacity or Sound Studio. Familiarity with web traffic and email marketing. Familiarity with content management, web traffic and email marketing software programs.
BHMedia - 16 months ago