Position Title |
Open Innovation Manager, Research & Development
Business Unit Description
MWV is a global leader in packaging and packaging solutions. Our fresh insights, innovative products, global manufacturing, and unparalleled service make us the partner of choice for many of the world’s most admired brands in the healthcare, beauty and personal care, food, beverage, home and garden, and tobacco industries. Our end-market expertise is also the foundation for success in our other businesses – Specialty Chemicals and the Community Development and Land Management Group. We touch people’s lives every day, everywhere. We help people keep track of their medications ( Dosepak ®, and Shellpak ® packaging), take care of their homes and gardens ( Mixor ® Trigger Sprayers) and their communities ( Evotherm ® asphalt). We develop products and solutions that not only grow our customers’ brands, but also improve our – and their – customers’ quality of life.
With about 15,000 employees worldwide, MWV operates in 30 countries and serves customers in more than 100 nations. But no matter where we’re doing business, we do things the right way – with a focus on integrity, sustainability, and positively contributing to the communities in which our employees live and work.
MWV is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Looking for an entrepreneurial team player with a passion for working with others, who can find and champion technologies into our R&D pipeline. CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Participate in, and sometimes lead, certain aspects of open innovation capability for the company. Finding new or emerging technology and services that can be adapted to provide new product opportunities, or lead to significant cost reduction in operations supporting the packaging platform. Representing MWV interests in relationships and joint development efforts with certain academic and industrial partners who can provide technology and know-how that will help address our important needs. Assisting in negotiating and structuring joint development or license agreements with chosen partners. Working with technology brokerage companies to solicit input from outside experts on our specific technical needs or to respond to solicitations for solutions from other companies. HOW YOU WILL IMPACT MWV
WHAT YOU NEED TO SUCCEED
- Plan and lead open innovation efforts within technology and academic communities to identify new, leading edge technologies that might be adapted for our use in the packaging arena.
- Act as the OI client manager for specific SBU’s and external customers. Interact across business and technical functions at various levels of seniority throughout the company, provide technical knowledge of open innovation best practices.
- Provide OI support to internal R&D teams who develop intellectual assets, technologies and partnerships.
- Drive internal awareness, understanding and adoption of open innovation across MWV.
- Find new or emerging technology in designated target areas that might be adapted for our use in the packaging arena.
- Perform a preliminary technical and business assessment of the technology to determine whether this should be pursued.
- Intrepreneurial: drives opportunities forward with and within an organization, sometimes before the org knows they need it; self-driven with ability to see opportunities from new ideas.
- Talent for Relationship Building: within and outside the organization; builds trust and rapport.
- Quick Study: self-driven to become up to speed on new technologies.
- Tolerance for Uncertainty: able to manage high risk projects and make decisions without perfect information about outcome.
- Balanced Optimism: able to objectively evaluate risks and rewards.
- Advanced technical degree (Masters or Doctorate) required.
- 10 years experience in a technical field with a high degree of technical expertise in fields of interest to our packaging platform.
- Proven track record in building relationships and in interacting with senior executives.
- Excellent project management skills and ability to manage multiple simultaneous demands.
- Working knowledge of alliance management, licensing, and intellectual property principles. Experience drafting, negotiating and/or managing partnership deals an advantage.
- Knowledge of plastics manufacturing materials and processes preferred.
- High scientific / technical knowledge coupled with strong communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Proven ability to work virtually, apart from core work group.
- Strong business and marketing acumen.
- Ability to travel approximately 25%.
For Internal candidates only: This role may sit at any MWV location globally.
United States of America
MWV is a global leader in packaging and packaging solutions. Our fresh insights, innovative products, global manufacturing, and unparalleled...