BD Biosciences, a segment of Becton, Dickinson and Company, is one of the world’s leading businesses focused on bringing innovative tools to life science researchers and clinicians. Its product lines include: flow cytometers, cell imaging systems, monoclonal antibodies, research reagents, diagnostic assays, and tools to help grow tissue and cells. BD is an EEO/AA Employer.
The WW Operations Controller provides Financial/Accounting support for the BD Biosciences - Cell Analysis business on a Worldwide and US specific basis. This includes providing financial support and leadership to Finance and Operations leaders, playing a key role in establishing and achieving financial objectives and formulating and executing Operations strategies. This role is responsible for implementing and maintaining accounting and reporting procedures resulting in accurate product costs and manufacturing performance reporting and ensures product inventories and manufacturing assets are adequately safeguarded and financial reporting and general business practices, for areas within responsibility, are in compliance with BD financial policies, SEC requirements and US GAAP. The WW Operations Controller frequently interacts with the local, regional, and divisional Finance staff, Manufacturing and the BDB Demand, Supply and Deployment Planning organization. Occasionally interacts with Global Marketing, Research and Development, and other General & Administrative functions. Drives change, as needed, to ensure compliance to GAAP/SOX, reviewing and delivering recommendations for continuous improvement, and clearly communicating relevant fiscal information to executive management. This position will manage a staff across multiple locations. Position requires 15% domestic travel.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Coordinate all planning, reporting, and analysis of Standard Product Costing, Manufacturing Variances, Inventory and its component parts. Including:
Developing standard costs
Maintaining cycle counting program
Ensuring inventory reserves are calculated appropriately
Ensuring manufacturing performance is accurately reported
2. Partners with the Vice President of BDB Operations, Manufacturing, and the BDB Demand, Supply and Deployment Planning organization to understand performance, optimize finance related operational decisions, ensure appropriate financial/accounting rigor, introduce process discipline as needed, and safeguard company assets.
3. Drives continuous financial improvement through Gross Profit analysis, Inventory analysis, New Product and Discontinuance Analysis, and Spending analysis.
4. Ensures that financial reports and records are prepared in compliance with US GAAP and BD financial policies.
5. Ensures that financial controls are maintained and that the requirements of the Sarbanes/Oxley Act are met.
6. Assists both internal and external auditors with their periodic review of the BDB-Cell Analysis financial records. Is further responsible for the implementation of agreed upon recommendations, related to areas of responsibility, resulting from the audit findings.
7. Coaches, evaluates, and professionally develops staff.
8. Promotes a safe work environment. Follows BD Biosciences Environmental, Health and Safety (EH&S) policies and procedures. Takes responsibility for safety in immediate work area. Participates in EH&S programs. Notifies supervisors of all observed hazardous conditions or unsafe work practices. May provide recommendations on maintaining the safety of the work environment.
9. Performs other related duties and assignments as required
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Possess a track record demonstrating the management of increasing levels of responsibility, successful business partnering at a senior level, and leading cross- functional teams.
Demonstrated ability to improve controls and influence decisions through accounting knowledge and data driven financial analysis.
Proven ability to attract, develop, and retain employee talent.
Cost Accounting, General Accounting, and Finance knowledge are all required.
Advanced Excel skills are necessary.
ERP experience is necessary; specifically, SAP experience is preferred.
Audit experience is a preferred.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Requires 15+ years of relevant professional Accounting and/or Finance experience; inclusive of 5+ years in: management, product costing, and inventory control experience.
Requires a Bachelor's degree in Accounting (or equivalent). A CPA, MBA, or CMA is preferred.
First Shift / Day Job