Posting date: November 16, 2012
An opportunity exists for an experienced Operations Leader to join our Gas Chromatography (GC & GC/MS) business in Austin, Texas. The GC GC/MS Product Line sells approximately $100M a year of analytical instruments, parts and services, to environmental, food safety, forensic, toxicology, pharmaceutical, research, university and industrial customers. GC GC/MS instruments are used, for example, to detect impurities in food, drinking water and chemicals.
The Director, Operations will have 6-8 direct reports and oversee the manufacturing, logistics, planning, sourcing and manufacturing engineering functions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- Responsible for leading and managing all operational functions involved in the production and distribution of complex scientific instruments (Gas Chromatographs) in support of business unit and division strategic and annual operating plans.
- Includes meeting customer satisfaction objectives in the areas of order communications, on-time delivery, and installation as well as ongoing quality and reliability standards
- Driving continuous improvement and productivity through the use of Thermo Fisher’s Practical Process Improvement (PPI) methodology
- Leading the team to high levels of Operational Excellence, productivity, and inventory turnover through contemporary Lean Manufacturing and Supply Chain Management concepts. Lead the effort to simplify the Operational model implementing HLA/TLA strategy in low cost regions
- Ensure the team is a key participant and stakeholder in the New Product Development process, with the goal of development and on-time launch of high quality products that meet cost, feature, and quality objectives.
- Minimal travel is required for the position (10% annually, including international).
- Additional duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions
- Bachelor degree in engineering or business required; MBA is preferred.
- Minimum of ten years of progressive manufacturing operations management experience with a solid track record of advancement and a variety of functional experiences (supply chain, production, logistics, etc…)
- Experience implementing HLA/TLA strategy (high-level assembly & total-level assembly) is desired.
- Prior formal training and implementation experience in lean manufacturing concepts (5S, pull systems/kanban, DFT, value stream mapping, kaizen) and Six Sigma is required.
- Previous ERP experience is a must, with SAP experience desired.
- Prior experience in an organization with complex products containing both hardware and software where a structured New Product Development Phase Gate review process is in use with high levels of process compliance and effectiveness.
- Demonstrate Thermo Fisher Scientific values – Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement
- Demonstrated Role Model Leader Characteristics:
- Embody the 4-I values
- Delight customers
- Communicate openly and honestly
- Focus on growth
Thermo Fisher Scientific - 22 months ago
Thermo Fisher Scientific’s 50,000 employees share a single mission: to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and...