The purpose of the Operations Engineer within the escalation 2 group is to maintain and manage a vast application, server and network architecture within a fast paced support environment. The successful candidate will function as part of a multi-discipline team with a decided focus on supporting the tier 1 NOC technicians and other business teams as necessary This team manages every deployed network element including but not limited to VoIP, LAN, WAN, Metro-E, DSL, SHDSL, MPLS, DNS, DHCP, TDM and SONET technologies. The successful incumbent will thrive on change but focus on the operational stability of the supported platforms.
The Operations Engineer will be responsible for participating as an individual contributor in project teams, troubleshooting operational issues, providing technical solutions to operational problems, new product implementation, implementing existing products and services, and the overall upkeep and maintenance of designated areas of operations engineering. Interface with vendors, engineering, and peer operations organizations. Acts in compliance with industry and Company technical requirements, standards, policies, and procedures. Provides technical leadership to junior engineers, technicians and project teams. Has in-depth experience, knowledge and skills in own discipline. Integrates knowledge of business and functional priorities. Acts as a key contributor in a complex and crucial environment. May lead teams or projects and shares expertise.
- Drives issues through closure engaging all appropriate resources. Leads technical bridges and provides troubleshooting direction. Provides guidance and recommended solutions to complex technical issues.
- Acts as an advocate for Operations Engineering procedures, policies, and processes. Ensures projects are fully integrated into the operations environment including lifecycle problem management from front line CARE through Engineering.
- Creates data and metric systems to track operational workflows; maintains records of results and feedback. Analyzes data and metrics, identifies problem areas, and provides actionable insight to management.
- Provides input to Engineering and vendors on defects and required enhancements. Attains all relevant industry standard technical certifications.
- Performs complex and routine maintenance tests for designated areas of engineering. Identifies, isolates, and escalates issues to appropriate personnel. Ensures that all maintenance is properly validated to minimize subscriber impact to (ideally) zero.
- Contributes to design considerations for new products or architectural changes to existing products. Assists with or leads efforts to build new application infrastructure, coordinating efforts across teams.
- Analyses problems in design, configuration, data flow, and data state within a highly complex multi-product provisioning system.
- Serves as lead on multiple projects, often spanning different engineering disciplines within the organization.
- Leads the integration of projects into operations including instrumentation, automation, standardization, and methods/procedures.
- Does not have any direct supervisory responsibilities. May direct workflow and act as a technical lead.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work evenings and weekends, variable schedule(s) as necessary.
- Multiple years in operating within a service organization
- Experience with Windows 2003/2008 Server
- Experience with Red Hat Linux and or Solaris Administration
- Experience with supporting and maintaining LAN, WAN network architectures
- Experience with Installation, Configuration and tuning Of Apache Web Servers.
- Experience with VoIP technologies is preferred.
- Working knowledge and Good understanding of Network Load Balancers. -5 yrs combined development & support of complex high volume web based applications on Production, Disaster Recovery and High Availability platforms .
- 2-5 years of direct support experience with accountability for availability
- 2-5 years combined design and support/administration experience in Windows and Unix Server platforms used for web based applications
- Working knowledge of TCP/IP, HTTP and SSL protocols is required.
- Good documentation and communication Skills.
Consolidated Communications is just what its name implies. The rural local exchange carrier (RLEC) encompasses operations based in Illinois,...