Duties & Responsibilities
Primarily responsible for the design, development, and implementation of projects for gathering systems and compression for assigned assets. Serves as technical resource/expert for troubleshooting and problem-solving. Responsible for the evaluation and implementation of projects to optimize the gas-gathering and compression with strong focus on safety and environmental ramifications. Duties include:
• Ensuring that projects are designed and constructed in accordance with the company's engineering guidelines and specifications, industry codes and standards, and regulatory agency requirements to meet necessary functionality and performance requirements.
• Troubleshooting operational issues by working with all levels of personnel including operators, mechanics, supervisors, managers, etc. and devising new and innovative approaches to solve problems.
• Independently performing assignments, given instructions only as to the general results expected.
• Generating ideas for projects to optimize the gas-gathering and compression operations.
• Performing economic evaluation and cost estimating for projects.
• Preparing appropriate documentation (such as Authorization For Expenditure documentation, cost estimates, and construction turnover packages) for assigned projects.
• Conducting and/or participating in field optimization and feasibility studies as well as expansion studies.
• Design specifications including rotating equipment sizing analyses and fluid flow calculations.
• Participating in and complying with the Process Safety Management program.
• Using technical software (Hysys, WinFlow, ProMax) to simulate gathering systems and processes.
• Interfacing with commercial personnel providing input/ideas on projects related to profitability.
• Supervising contract personnel in the operations and/or general maintenance and repair of gathering systems and compressor facilities.
• Working with company experts to maintain thorough knowledge and understanding of applicable DOT, OSHA, EPA, other environmental/safety regulations and company processes and procedures. Implementing appropriate provisions into maintenance procedures in order to assure compliance. Ensuring area of responsibility is compliant with safety, environmental and other company guidelines, policies, etc.
Requires: prolonged use of a computer keyboard; working additional hours, weekends and/or holidays to complete projects or meet deadlines; occasional travel with overnight stays; on- and off-road travel conditions; may be exposed to high-voltage electricity and chemicals, including but not limited to: flammable gases and liquids, toxins, pesticides, corrosives and petroleum products.
• Knowledge of: natural gas compression equipment, gas/liquid separation equipment, fluid flow, piping design, piping codes, standards, and material specifications, and process control basics.
• Skill in: Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Office products; excellent analytical skills. Experience with HYSYS (or similar process modeling software) and WinFlow (or similar pipeline modeling software) are preferred.
• Ability to: Communicate effectively orally and in writing; understand and execute oral and written instructions; handle and maintain confidential information; exhibit high-level self-management skills; perform efficiently and accurately while working on multiple projects in several different geographic locations; determine the distance and relationship between objects; see objects at close range; be courteous to co-workers and customers/owners; follow directions from supervisors; work diligently and independently without direct supervision; work with a positive team attitude; refrain from abusive or profane language and behavior in the workplace.
• Requirements: Requires a B.S. degree in chemical or mechanical engineering from an ABET-accredited institution; prefer five (5) years experience within natural gas and/or petroleum industry; prefer successful completion of the Fundamentals of Engineering or Professional Engineers exam; must possess a valid driver’s license; have an acceptable driving record; undergo random drug testing subject to DOT requirements; regular attendance; neat in appearance; must adhere to the FERC Standards of Conduct Order; and must adhere to all policies established by the company, including the QEP Resources’ Business Ethics and Compliance Policy.
QEP Resources, Inc.
- 3 years ago - save job