American Tire is a growing company with over 3,400 employees throughout the United States. We continue to expand and the acquisitions and new operations continue to enhance our ability to offer the most complete selection of tires, wheels and related products and value-added service across America to independent tire retailers.
The Operations Manager has second tier responsibilities behind the General Manager for all facets of the Distribution Center sales, operations and profitability. The primary role is to provide back-up support for the General Manager, including ensuring the Center meets and integrates with Company’s requirements for quality management, health and safety, legal requirements, environmental policies and general care of duty. Supports and directs operations, administration, distribution, sales and marketing functions for the Center either personally or through the activities of the Center’s employees, as instructed by the General Manager. Responsible for directly supervising and overseeing both warehouse and delivery functions on a daily basis.
- Support all General Manager directives, particularly when General Manager is off premises
- Support the implementation of a proactive business strategy, including setting and/or approving productivity and route profitability goals for the Center
- Plan and direct the Center’s warehouse and delivery departments to achieve stated/agreed targets and standards for financial performance and quality, including
- As directed, oversee Center personnel management and development for warehouse and delivery departments, including recruitment, selection, disciplinary procedures, grievances, counseling, pay and conditions, training and development, succession planning, morale and motivation, culture and attitudinal development and performance evaluations
- Coordinate and oversee all inventory procedures and systems including Bin Location System, inventory receiving, shipping, transfers, and physical count comparisons
- Support profit plan strategy for efficient use of equipment, facilities, supplies and maintenance. Responsible for deliveries to the Center using the most cost effective method.
- Implement and comply with Company directives concerning health and safety programs (DOT, ADA and OSHA, etc.)
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Education: Minimum high school graduate or GED; preferred Bachelor’s degree from 4-year college or university or combination of some college and 3-5 years General Manager or wholesale experience in a supervisory/management position
- Experience: Minimum of 5 years of wholesale experience in a supervisory or management position; preferred 5+ years of wholesale experience in a supervisory or management position
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Company, in its discretion, may find appropriate and acceptable
- Knowledge of current management and organization principles, practices and techniques
- Knowledge of the objectives, methods and practices within a distribution environment; understanding of product flow within a distribution environment
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commission proportions, percentages and area. Ability to apply concepts of basic business math
- Awareness of health and safety laws and associated regulations
- Knowledge of current materials, methods, tools and equipment (including technology) used in distribution operations
- Possess excellent time management and organizational skills
- Ability to carry out oral and written instructions
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Ability to supervise and delegate work to subordinates as needed
American Tire Distributors offers a competitive salary and benefits. The Company maintains a two-tiered group health plan that covers all employees with healthcare, dental and vision coverage. Employees that participate in the Company’s wellness program are eligible for free health care coverage. A 401(k) plan is offered to all employees after one year of service. Also covered for employees is short-term disability and life insurance coverage, additional coverage for both long-term disability and life insurance is available for purchase. Employees are eligible for employee purchases of company inventory at a discount – tires, wheels, etc... Vacation and sick days are accumulated based on tenure for each calendar year.
Concerned about that upcoming "re-tire-ment"? Discount Tire, one of the largest independent tire dealers in the US, can provide several...