Maintain high availability across all RE products and services to customers
Main Activities and Responsibilities
People Management 40%
Direct or indirect management of teams, employees and stakeholders in a global environment
1. Provide leadership and motivation as required
2. Manage teams (Indirect)
a. Clarify individual roles and responsibilities
b. Communicate vision and provide overall team leadership
c. Project resource planning
d. Establish shared goals and communicate
3. Manage direct reports (direct)
a. Clarify individual roles and responsibilities
b. Understand needed skill sets and plan resourcing through recruitment or training
c. Manage resource allocation and planning
d. Recruit and on-board employees
e. Coach and enable development plans/career paths
f. Manage performance
4. Mentoring others
5. Manage stakeholder expectations and communicate appropriately
6. Establish work standards
a. Set standards for excellence
b. Ensure high quality
c. Takes responsibility
d. Encourages others to take responsibility
Project Task Delivery 10%
Manage work requests and small scale projects that fall within departmental responsibilities and objectives. This would include implementation of new infrastructure in support of business projects, and operational engineering of existing infrastructure, in pursuit of global standardization, simplification, improved operational support, and cost optimization; with a focus on adherence to RETS and industry best practices for infrastructure design, technologies, components and configurations to ensure ongoing functional operation and supportability.
1. Work with Project Management and/or Business Relationship Managers (BRM) to gather, review, clarify and understand the work needed for the project.
2. Represent Operations Control on projects and/or day to day activities to ensure the requirements are met for our teams.
3. Collaborate with other support teams to ensure turnover and support documentation process is followed, including cross-training.
4. Continuous service improvement.
5. Leading efforts where appropriate
Communication Management 15%
Global communication of significant customer incident events for RETS. The ability to articulate in business terms to a broad audience.
1.Ensure appropriate generation, dissemination, collection and storage of information.
2. Standardizing and implementing new processes
3. Global alignment
Change & Release Management 5%
Enable beneficial changes to be made to ensure minimal disruption to IT services. Ensuring that standard procedures including; time frame for customer impacting changes, approvals, communication and timely completion are followed.
1. Gather, review, clarify, document and understand the necessary requirements.
2. Risk management.
3. Change Implementation.
4. Ensure approval processes are followed
5. Continuous Service Improvement
Service and Restoration 10%
To restore service for customers within Service Level Agreements as quickly as possible and minimize the adverse effect on business operations, ensuring the best possible levels of service quality and availability are maintained.
3. Correlation of Events
5. Resolution and Recovery
7. Ensure troubleshooting and recovery efforts are documented
8. Communicate with global customers regarding an incident.
Incident Management 5%
Discovery and management of incidents for users within Service Level Agreements.
1. Monitor, proactively investigate, and restore service availability of systems in a timely manner.
2. Gather information, interpret, and take appropriate actions.
3. Ensure incident is documented, classified, and prioritized.
4. Ensure support teams are engaged.
5. Ensure communication management process is followed.
6. Identify and document process improvement.
7. Provide on call support
Maintain Reliability Availability and Performance through continuous improvement initiatives and core processes.
1. Monitor, proactively investigate, and restore availability of systems
2. Work with RETS, CPM, and the Business to identify opportunities to improve, fix, and correct RAP.
3. Be aware of upcoming changes, releases, and projects that could affect RAP
General Knowledge and Technical Skills:
Responds to system management alerts to handle system/operations exceptions, within the assigned enterprise systems of product offerings.
Provides prompt recovery and problem escalation for the exceptions, extrapolating and integrating information within defined boundaries, using multiple system management and problem management tools.
Works closely with development groups, support groups and vendors to coordinate special operations, and communicates/escalates problems as appropriate to meet assigned deadlines.
Provides analytical support for the development and enhancement of system interfaces, and may develop or enhance those tools under high-level technical direction from more-senior staff.
Assists in daily support of the systems/products assigned, through early detection and pursuit or changes in system responses or operation. Works closely with support groups to refine system monitoring and reporting, and to assist them in their analysis and problem recovery.
Provides prompt, clear and timely communications. Logs, coordinates and communicates problems using standard problem management and escalation procedures.
Required Education and Experience:
1. Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or other related field preferred
2. 5-10 years of related work experience preferred
3. 2-3 relevant certifications preferred
4. Ability to work independently
5. Good verbal and written communications skills
6. Previous experience in performing operations or system management functions in multiple system environments (UNIX, MVS, Intel)
7. Knowledge of Reed Elsevier system operations
The Hours for this position are 6pm to 6am Wed, Thurs, Fri and every other Sat
Technology First - 20 months ago
copy to clipboard