Directly supervises 2 or more employees in the Operations Department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems. Oversees operations and administrative functions at an individual site location.
- Responsible for managing the safety performance, operating practices and financial productivity of the operation
- Responsible for customer interface and monitoring the quality of the service in accordance with the terms of any applicable contractual arrangements
- Assists in railcar switching function as required
- Assumes a leadership role in supervising crews, schedules, personnel and maintains payroll with the targeted budget
- Conducts efficiency and operating tests according to company practices
- Conducts incident investigations and prepares associated reports- derailments; personal injury
- Hires new employees to fill vacancies; trains new employees in operating practices according to federal regulations and company policies; administers discipline as needed
- Work experience in the railroad industry.
- Supervisory experience.
- Knowledge and understanding of safety rules and procedures.
- Possess communication, analytical and management skills
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written
- Computer skills
- Associate's Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience required, Bachelor's Degree preferred. 5 years work experience in the railroad industry, with supervisory duties; knowledge and understanding of FRA regulations required.
Genesee & Wyoming Inc. - 17 months ago
Genesee & Wyoming (GWI) once relied on the salt of the earth -- hauling salt on a 14-mile railroad for one customer. Now, however, the...