Optical Manufacturing Engineer|
Build and tests systems, assemblies, and subassemblies for products incorporating optics, photonics and laser technologies. Make improvements to optical build and test processes originating from customer, or create processes if none available at time of product transfer. Ensure that proper optical/laser handling, inspection, and testing are used by technicians. Adapt procedures and training as needed over time.
Work in the optical assembly cleanroom, following proper cleanroom procedures. Ensure procedures include materials handling for the cleanroom, including cleaning procedures. Work in the cleanroom/laser room, following proper laser safety procedures.
Interact with customer’s device, hardware and software design teams to assist in new product introduction (NPI) of optical products; specify source, and qualify active and passive optical components, develop and benchmark system performance models, develop and implement test procedures and/or evaluate and select appropriate test and measurement instrumentation.
Provide optical expertise to production while resolving technical issues associated with components, parts, suppliers, products or systems; test new and existing designs, and document changes through a formal engineering change notification process.
Look for opportunities to reduce cost while maintaining quality in the optical supply chain. Support expansion of the optical supply chain. Review the supply chain on new products as part of the NPI process.
Apply quantitative analysis in determining root cause of highly technical problems and propose, develop and implement solutions for corrective action.
Provide support to the sales team on request when optical expertise is needed to engage with new customers.
Position reports to: Hardware Development Engineering Manager.
1. Strong working knowledge of optical, mechanical and opto-mechanical systems. Must have experience designing tooling for testing optical assemblies and sub-assemblies. Additional optical system design experience highly desired. Experience using optical adhesives, including UV adhesives, low outgassing adhesives, and thermally cured adhesives, important. Basic understanding of optical tolerances and comfort with aligning optical systems a must.
2. Experience with imaging systems, laser-based systems, and fluorescence detection.
3. Superior, creative problem solving capabilities.
4. Ability to work independently and manage multiple competing priorities, while also teaming with others as needed. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment where priorities shift frequently essential.
5. Strong desire to train and share knowledge
6. Excellent knowledge of software tools such as Solidworks, AutoCAD, MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook. Knowledge of optical modeling tools such as ZEMAX, FRED, Code V, etc… very helpful.
7. Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
8. Excellent customer service attitude and ability to interface directly with customers
9. Integrity, honesty, and sound decision making
10. Drive all assigned issues/projects to closure, and document this activity
11. Detail oriented and analytical
12. Drive for continuous improvement
13. High level of quality awareness
Minimum of 5 years of manufacturing engineering experience of optical systems. Optical “super techs” from laser manufacturing companies or medical laser companies meet this requirement.
BS degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience, such as degrees in Physics or Applied Physics with focus on optics, or extensive industry experience as a “super tech” in laser companies (may not be degreed).
Experienced in opto-mechanical instrument manufacturing processes.
Comfortable with basic electronic debug and lean manufacturing techniques
Strong working knowledge of DOE, GD&T, SPC techniques
Understanding of quality-control (QC) methods and ability to develop new methods that are appropriate predictors of end-use performance
Broad knowledge of optoelectronics assembly and laser devices.
Strong understanding of FDA and ISO 13485 regulations is beneficial.
Paramit Corporation - 7 months ago