Employees in this classification fill ophthalmic eyeglass prescriptions and fit and adapt lenses and frames. Work is performed within established guidelines. Works under only general supervision in all other duties. Employees in this classification normally have no delegated supervisory responsibility.
- Evaluates prescription in conjunction with client’s vocational and avocational visual requirements.
- Determines client’s current lens prescription, when necessary, using lensometer or lens analyzer and client’s eyeglasses.
- Recommends specific lenses, lens coatings, and frames to suit client needs.
- Assists client in selecting frames according to style and color, coordinating frames with facial and eye measurements and optical prescription.
- Measures client’s bridge and eye size, temple length, vertex distance, pupillary distance, and optical centers of eyes.
- Prepares work order and instructions for grinding lenses and fabricating eyeglasses.
- Verifies finished lenses are ground to specification.
- Heats, shapes, or bends plastic or metal frames to adjust eyeglasses to fit client.
- Instructs clients in adapting to, wearing, and caring for eyeglasses.
- Sells and fits contact lenses.
- Sells optical goods such as binoculars, plano sunglasses, magnifying glasses, and low vision aids.
- Repairs damaged frames.
- Selects and orders frames for display.
- Grinds lens edges or apply coating to lenses.
- Computes amount of sale and collects payment for services.
- Assists with cleaning and stock Optical Shop.
- Completion of an ophthalmic dispensing optician degree program.
- At least one year of directly related experience under direct supervision of a Certified Optician.
Security Level (TTU only)
Does this position work in a research laboratory?
If yes, are select agents used in this laboratory?
Texas Tech University HSC - Lubbock
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please list all work duties performed with each employer. A resume may be submitted, but will not replace the completed application.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to walk. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
Hourly Pay Range
11.45 - 16.28
Monthly Pay Range
1984.67 - 2821.87
Internal Candidates Only?
Internal Cand Open Date
Internal Cand Closing Date
The entities of the Texas Tech University System are Equal Opportunity Employers and employ without regard to sex, race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability, genetic information, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran, or other protected classes.
Texas Tech University - 22 months ago