Technology at General Mills accelerates process transformation and business growth around the globe. To achieve business success, the Information Systems team uses leading edge technology, innovative thinking and agile processes. General Mills Information Systems has been recognized as one of the Top Ten Best Places to Work in IT by Computerworld Magazine for twelve years running. Come and create a dynamic, challenging and successful career at General Mills.
General Mills IT Production Services is seeking an experienced enterprise DBA to provide technical leadership and database administration accountabilities for core Oracle production, QA, development and sandbox environments. Primary responsibilities include database administration and support for application development activities, including both SAP and non-SAP databases. Responsibilities also include analyzing and recommending patch, upgrade, and parameter assessment initiatives and strategy, monitoring and addressing database performance issues, creating/modifying backup and recovery processes, creating and tuning databases, and consulting and advising on data access, auditing, and security topics. Second level on-call database support is also required.
The right candidate will be comfortable with change and be able to function as part of a highly technical, dynamic, cross functional team to design and build world class, sustainable and supportable infrastructure. Will work closely with application architecture, SAP Basis, UNIX/Linux system administration and capacity management teams to deliver superior availability and performance of enterprise applications.
In this role you will:
• Contribute to the success of an ambitious multi-year project to re-architect GMI enterprise database infrastructure, including a transition from HP-UNIX and stand-alone RDBMS to RHEL Linux, Grid, RAC and Dataguard on ASM.
• Work collaboratively as a consultant with development teams to design and develop effective database objects and efficient application processes. Provide performance analysis for SQL Tuning.
• Work with UNIX/Linux Platform team to monitor, tune, and optimize the Oracle server environment
• Work with SAP Basis team to monitor, tune, and optimize the SAP / Oracle environment.
• Partner with Oracle to analyze and recommend feature adoption, best practices, and resolve service issues.
• Analyze and recommend patching and upgrade methodologies for Oracle software on HP-UX server.
• Create or change GMI standards and user guides for Oracle.
• Monitor and support standards compliance.
• Be part of a team that provides 24 / 7 production support for 300+ Oracle databases.
• Bachelor’s degree in any major
• 3 -5 years work experience in a similar role
• Demonstrated knowledge of Oracle internals, database development and support concepts
• Production support and/or significant development experience for Oracle databases
• Demonstrated knowledge of Oracle RDMS versions 10g and 11g, Oracle Enterprise Manager, Oracle Real Application Cluster (RAC), Recovery Manager (RMAN), Dataguard, ASM and PL/SQL programming
• Experience supporting SAP on Oracle
• Familiarity with UNIX/Linux operating system, including comfort with vi editor
• Ability to work in a team environment
• Strong technical and problem solving skills
• Ability to plan, organize, and lead team process improvement and cross boundary initiatives
• Demonstrated ability to learn and apply new technology
• Effective, audience appropriate communication skills
• Ability to influence others and promote best practices
• Ability to mentor others in database development concepts
The effective candidate will have some depth with HP-UX and Linux operating system concepts.
• Some software development background is a definite advantage: .NET, UNIX/Linux scripting, Perl, Java or C/C++
• Knowledge of networking concepts: TCP/IP, DNS
We serve the world by making food people love. As one of the world’s leading food companies, General Mills believes that food should...