Los Angeles, CA
We fight for the respect and dignity of some of the most hard-working people in this country who are on the frontlines of taking care of some of the most vulnerable citizens. We are looking for talented and creative individuals to fill research, organizing and lead organizing positions across the state of California
Organizing Director at SEIU ULTCW in Los Angeles
The Organizing Director oversees the local’s work related to external organizing activities. As part of the senior staff body, the Director collaborates in the overall development and implementation of the strategic organizing plan for SEIU ULTCW.
Duties & Responsibilities
Directs External Organizers in developing and executing the strategic organizing plan for the local including the design and implementation of leadership identification, recruitment, development, and training.
The Organizing Director oversees and directs the work of all organizing staff, including the development and training of Organizing Committee members.
Develops organizing campaigns for unrepresented facilities and sectors of workers and works closely with other ULTCW department Directors, International Union Division Director, and SEIU local union Organizing Directors when needed to ensure that the targets are aligned with SEIU and local union priorities.
Develops uniform standards for review and evaluation of campaigns.
Develops overall industry strategies and action-based campaigns that are industry specific and union-wide on issues that engage workers and members, that are opportunities to build the organization and that are aligned with industry and national objectives within SEIU.
Ensures the tracking, reporting and analysis on all campaigns in her/his purview.
Ensures the handling of elections are consistent with ULTCW standards.
Acts as a spokesperson with allied organizations in the fight for better conditions in the industries, service groups, client advocates, community groups, and resident and family councils.
Collaborates with Political Director to develop and coordinate legislative activity with respect to new industry targets
Provides direction, staff development and disciplinary action (if needed) to staff in his/her Department
Develops recommended budgets, allocates resources effectively and plans and implements program activities as appropriate.
Coordinates with internal Member Strength Directors to conduct surveys, job audits, investigation and related activities to and in development of Union policies, bargaining positions and development of effective representation programs consistent with internal industry standards and goals.
Testifies as expert witness before various agencies
Evaluates and initiates requests for ULPs and other third party proceedings.
- A minimum of five to seven years of experience leading large teams of organizing staff/members and demonstrated experience in developing and successfully executing large scale organizing campaigns. .
- In depth knowledge of relevant special body of knowledge including labor law like NLRA, MMBA, FLSA, Cal OSHA, FMLA, Title 22, ADA, Workers Compensation, etc.
- Knowledge of workers, the workplace, labor, and political issues
- Excellent interpersonal skills as demonstrated by the ability to relate, establish and cultivate respectful relationships with people from diverse backgrounds
- Adept at leading and motivating workers in necessary struggles
- Dedication to workers' rights and social justice
- Skilled at managing and meeting many and varying deadlines
- Effective informal and formal negotiating skills
- Effective demonstrable oral, written and listening skills in English; bilingual skills highly desirable
- Excellent analytical and judgment skills as demonstrable by the ability to assess information and evidence and act strategically
- Excellent organizational and prioritizing skills showing flexibility as needed; adept at dealing with conflicting/changing priorities
- Effective facilitating and organizing meeting skills
- Experience organizing independently and as part of a team
- Working knowledge of computer programs including Word, e-mail, accessing the Internet, and databases
- Program planning and administrative skills
- Previous staff supervisory experience
- The Director is required to work long and varying hours including weekends, nights and holidays. Driving long distances for extended periods of time is also required. * * *Travel both statewide and out of state with overnights and periods away from home may be required.
- The Division Director is required to have a valid driver’s license, automobile insurance and a working automobile.
The Department Director is expected to embrace, promote and demonstrate the organizations’ core values - Excellence, Diversity, Accountability, Transparency, Empowerment--, which include but are not limited to:
High ethical standards
Train, develop, nurture and mentor all staff and members
Encourage team work and participation by all staff and members
Lead by example
Ensure outstanding representation of the organization to internal and external allies and constituents.
Service Employees International Union - 18 months ago