Perform a variety of crime prevention, surveillance and law enforcement duties to protect the lives of students, staff and faculty, protect College property and maintain public order and safety on the Ithaca College campus. Enforce Ithaca College and department regulations and policies, New York State Penal Laws, vehicle, traffic and other laws. Promote positive community relations by supporting and participating in community oriented policing programs, activities, and initiatives and maintain good relations by providing quality service. Establish and maintain liaison with on and off campus community members and a variety of off-campus agencies. The incumbent is considered to be essential personnel and will be subject to reporting to work or remaining at work on occasion and without advance notice dependent upon the nature and urgency of the situation and as conditions or circumstances warrant.
1. Patrol designated areas of the campus to preserve law and order, prevent and deter crime, discover the commission of crimes, identify and process violators, and enforce traffic regulations; patrol parking lots, residential and academic facilities and all College property and buildings to ensure their security.
2. Respond to and investigate non-criminal calls including student welfare checks, service related requests, and medical assistance or emergency first aid needs. Take necessary action to protect life and property.
3. Respond to and investigate criminal calls and any other violations, misdemeanors and felonies; take appropriate action to protect life and property. Take individuals into custody, fingerprint, process and transport.
4. Conduct investigations of campus incidents involving violations of law, college policy, and accidents and injuries. Prepare investigative reports and prepare and present testimony in court or at campus disciplinary hearings. Collect and maintain evidence and property as required and effect warrants as directed.
5. Respond to and conduct investigation of fire and intrusion alarms; check and reset alarm system and related emergency equipment. Take appropriate action to protect life and property.
6. Determine appropriate notification of College administration, department supervisors and off campus agencies of incidents and cases; follow established protocol and requirements in making notifications.
7. Regulate pedestrian, bicycle and vehicular traffic; investigate traffic accidents and complete accident reports; enforce vehicle, traffic, and parking violations.
8. Provide emergency first aid response to members of the College community and visitors in accordance with established policies and procedures.
9. Participate in and provide support for special events. Provide traffic and crowd control at sporting events, commencement, freshman orientation, registration, concerts, parties, exhibits and other special events.
10. Establish and maintain liaison with community members, off campus law enforcement agencies, fire, emergency and service organizations. Provide information about the College to students, staff and the general public.
11. May serve as field training officer as assigned to include training on policies and procedures, supervising the activities of designated trainees, and documentation of trainee progress.
12. Participate in crime prevention programs as directed to include researching information, developing presentations, and conducting crime prevention programs and workshops to the campus community.
13. Provide assistance to and work in collaboration with Environmental Health and Safety staff as needed; determine appropriate action and assignments based on area of expertise and experience.
14. Perform the duties of communications specialist or security officer as assigned.
15. The incumbent may on rare occasion serve as officer in charge in the absence of a sergeant and master patrol officers as assigned. Interpret regulations and directives; supervise and participate in the activities of patrol officers and other assigned shift personnel; review information from prior shift and coordinate work assignments for the shift. Monitor work performance to ensure compliance with established departmental regulations; review accuracy and completeness of shift reports, and advise departmental management of conditions affecting campus safety and security.
16. Escort documents, guests and money as requested.
Position/Job Responsibilities continued
High school diploma or GED and a minimum of two (2) years of law enforcement and/or security experience; a minimum of 21 years of age; successful completion of or the ability to complete the New York State Basic Course for Police Officers and certification; demonstrated ability to successfully complete the Ithaca College Office of Public Safety Field Training and Evaluation program; possession of or the ability to obtain a New York State Pistol Permit; a valid New York State drivers license or the ability to obtain one and must meet the eligibility requirements to drive a College vehicle; ability and flexibility to work rotating shifts, weekends, holidays, special events and overtime (scheduled and unscheduled) and demonstrated ability to successfully perform the essential functions and duties associated with the position are required. Applicants will be subject to a background check and will be a member of the collective bargaining unit. Preference will be given to applicants who have a current New York State Basic Police Officer certificate.
Instructions for submitting your application:
Interested applicants should apply on-line at apply.icjobs.org and attach a cover letter, resume, and a list containing the contact information for at least three professional references. Questions about the online application process should be directed to the Office of Human Resources at 607-274-8000. Screening of applicants will begin immediately.
Ithaca College is committed to building a diverse academic community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college is appreciated.
Ithaca College - 17 months ago