- Support and extend our in-house PHP/Doctrine-based backend API; for new data consumers and business logic.
- We have a lovely seaside office in Williamsburg, on Greenpoint Ave. You won't have to be there every day, but you should expect to be in 2-3 times a week. 4 times a week if things are busy.
What you'll do
- You're going to live in the data layer and publish data via JSON/XML/HTML.
- Extend the existing functionality for new data consumers, including mobile apps and internal tools.
- Integrate with many backend services using PHP. Some use JSON, some XML, some use custom blobs of half-baked syntax.
- Join a small, talented team of designers and backend engineers.
- Process customer signups, understand and implement complex business logic, provide tools and customer touchpoints with the data they need.
Skills & Requirements
What we're looking for
- You are an expert PHP developer, experienced with backend development, and you have advanced scripting skills (Python, Ruby or Perl) for backend reconciliation and automation/service tasks.
- You are familiar with the very latest in PHP best practices, including various PHP frameworks and ORMs.
- You're an experienced API designer and integrator with external APIs, and you can adapt out internal APIs for various kinds of consumers - web, mobile, etc.
- You have solid SQL knowledge, you can write solid queries, and you understand normal forms.
- You know what a WSDL is, every morning you wash yourself with SOAP, you eat and sleep RESTfully, and carefully maintained API documentation makes you feel fuzzy inside.
- You want to do things the right way, with clean code, and you generally do; but you're pragmatic enough to know that sometimes, kludges are necessary.
- You have solid SQL knowledge, you can write solid queries, and you understand data schemas.
- You are an excellent team player – you document your code, your update your API documentation, you can sit and work with your peers to sort out how something should work. You reuse existing patterns rather than re-writing from scratch.
- You get systems - how processes and software fit together to make one large puzzle. Complexity doesn't intimidate you. You don
Tools you have to know
- 't blindly follow specs, but ask questions when something doesn't make sense.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related fields and at least 8 years of relevant experience.
- 4+ years of recent PHP experience, demonstrated with code samples and solid opinions of various PHP frameworks and PHP OO principles.
- Sharp with your insight. Humble with your knowledge. Patient with your peers.
- Enthusiasm. Diligence. Indomitability.
- It's OK if you're a web ninja, network wizard, hedge knight, BOFH, or a humble hacker. We'll love you no matter what.
- PHP 5.3 with extensive Doctrine Experience
- Microsft SQL Server (If you know any other RDBMS systems, we'll train you.)
- Atlassian JIRA and Confluence. (we'll teach you.)
- Perl knowledge a very strong plus, Python helpful, but not required.
- A linux command line
Signs you might not be right for the job
- PHP Namespaces confuse you
- You've got a deep background in Java, C or .NET
- You prefer to run Windows
- Commandlines intimidate you
- You don't like to ask questions
- You don't like reading other people's code
- Most of your PHP work is front-end
- You don't know the difference between == and ===
About Ultra Mobile
We are advocates for equal access and social equity in mobile telecom.
We are connecters of you with the world… in the palm of your hand.
We are builders of products that are convenient, easy, and powerful.
We are change agents and innovators of mobile solutions.
We are architects of mobile services to enhance our customers' lives.
We are Ultra Mobile.
Ultra Mobile is a nationwide mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) that develops first-of-its-kind mobile phone and mobile money services to improve the quality of life for our customers. Our mission is to provide convenient and affordable solutions that connect people with their extended families living around the world, and to help make the American dream more accessible.
Founded by telecom industry entrepreneurs and activists for fair pricing, Ultra Mobile intends to change the way America keeps in touch with the world.
Our company's management team has been disrupting the international telecommunications market for years. Recognizing disparities in the accessibility of money services, we are beginning to make our mark in the mobile money world as well. We have learned much during the past two decades. The most important lesson we've learned is that our customers always deserve better, and it's our duty to bring better choices to them.
Ultra Mobile is the result of taking the lessons we've learned and the partnerships we've forged, and creating ground-breaking solutions that will make our customers lives a little better each day.
Fusion Systems is a recognized leader in IT Solutions Consulting across the Asia Pacific region. We specialize in time-sensitive and...