PHYSICIAN INFORMATICS EDUCATOR
Methodist Health System
Department: Information Services
* Bachelor's of Science
Physician Informatics Educator
· Effectively moderate a variety of clinical information systems application training and educational experiences, in a classroom and/or direct care setting, to healthcare providers.
· Develop familiarity with existing EMR training programs and assume responsibility for conducting both ongoing and special request sessions as needed with physicians and mid-level providers.
· Demonstrate an ability to understand and relay to staff and providers complex information systems concepts that relate to their workflows.
· Show flexibility in delivery of key concepts.
· Incorporate training techniques that enhance understanding and retention of clinical information systems content and skills.
· Apply principles of adult learning theory, group dynamics, group facilitation, and change management into day-to-day practice and course delivery.
· Model and assist others, such as expert users, in clinical information systems training delivery, application enhancements, and advanced application skills.
· Requires functional expertise with respect to program development and educational processes (ie. Curriculum development, instructional methodologies; evaluation strategies; etc)
· Assist in determining level, content, length, and frequency of clinical information systems course offerings
· Use continuous quality improvement principles to evaluate (via user feedback, class knowledge checks, and student assessments) application functionality changes and revise existing curriculum and materials.
· Deconstruct defined clinician workflows into specific tasks and steps for incorporation into clear, concise training materials, learning aids, and other documentation for use during clinical information systems implementations and new functionality releases. These materials may be paper or web-based.
· May document requirements, design, and develop content for web-based electronic learning modules.
· Assist in the development and monitoring of end-user EMR functionality competencies.
END USER SUPPORT:
· Provide onsite and remote application usage support for staff and clinicians, both during business hours and, potentially, on an off-hours rotating schedule, for application implementations, scheduled and unscheduled application downtimes, and on an ongoing basis.
· Provide application usage support and just-in-time training in clinical work areas in order to maximize clinician use of EMR applications, to reinforce established best practices, and to provide advanced skills and tips to users.
· Review and resolve application usage support issues and training requests logged in the help ticket queue.
· Triage application errors and issues to IT Services.
· Conduct troubleshooting testing and use critical thinking skills to assess issues and impact to end user groups. Report findings to clinical analysts and/or IT Services. May suggest possible solutions.
· Conduct both formal and informal EMR usability evaluations and report findings to clinical analysts.
· Assess and evaluate application performance by observing staff interactions with the application and report results.
· Identify potential transition and change management issues and recommend effective solutions.
· Participate in implementing transition/change management solutions for large scale implementations.
· Define and ensure resources necessary to conduct special request, new employee, new application, and enhancement classes, including but not limited to, classrooms, equipment, and materials.
· Ensure that training locations are adequately equipped for the training that is being delivered.
· Schedule classes and staff and track attendance using electronic learning management system.
· Oversee and ensure appropriate scheduling of staff into required courses.
· Use basic project management skills to plan and track assignments, course development, materials, and educational delivery.
· Execute assigned training project plan tasks in a timely manner and regularly report status.
· Actively partner with medical center departments and IT Services to coordinate supplemental resources required for major implementations.
· Assist and provide consult to Clinical Informaticists and Clinical Analysts:
o Observe and report end-user direct use of EMR applications in relation to clinician workflows.
o Observe end-user direct use of EMR applications in relation to clinician workflows and report findings to clinical analysts.
o Assess the impact of new applications and enhancements on end-user workflows.
o Conduct application usability testing with accuracy and report results.
· May document EMR issues, functionality changes, and application best practice reminders in weekly end user report.
· Communicate effectively with IT Services Help Desk staff to ensure efficient and responsive support to end users.
· Communicate and liaison with IT Services project managers for specific project initiatives and report project status, updates, and other pertinent information to PCIS manager and education team members.
· Participate on interview teams for new educator applicants and provide feedback to hiring manager.
· Precept newly hired educators.
· Educate colleagues on new application functionality in preparation for implementation support.
· Maintain knowledge and expertise in EMR application functionality and current and future state clinician documentation procedures.
· Maintain knowledge of the EMR status across the enterprise.
· Perform other related duties as assigned.
SKILLS OR SPECIAL ABILITIES:
· Must demonstrate patient centered/patient valued behaviors.
· Demonstrates competency in the processes involved in the interface between clinical staff and the information systems department to support clinical practice.
· Demonstrates critical thinking/problem solving skills related to patient care, clinical practice and the electronic medical record.
· Must have good communication skills
· Must be detail oriented.
· Must have the ability to make decisions and work independently within the scope of the position.
· Must be able to demonstrate initiative, good change management skills and a high level of personal motivation.
· Must be team oriented.
Methodist Health System - 13 months ago
Why does a career at Methodist Health System outshine the others? To start with, we truly value our employees and we show it by offering...