Livermore, CA United States
POSITION NUMBER: 6020 A
POSITION IS AT THE FULL PERFORMANCE LEVEL OR BAND
The Pipefitter, WG-4204-10, is located at the Plumbing and Machine Shop any site within the Engineering Service of the VA Palo Alto Health Care System. Repairs, modifies, maintains, installs and performs maintenance and preventive maintenance on medical gas, air and vacuum distributions systems and equipment as well as hot and cold water and steam distribution systems and equipment, including piping, lagging, hangers, expansion joints, various types of valves and control devices.
Repairs, modifies, maintains, installs and performs maintenance and preventive maintenance on medical gas, air and vacuum distributions systems and equipment as well as hot and cold water and steam distribution systems and equipment, including piping, lagging, hangers, expansion joints, various types of valves and control devices. Systems include stainless, glass, and other special materials designed to resist chemicals and waste matters from laboratories and research areas.
***Steam distribution, maintenance and operations experience preferred.
WORK SCHEDULE: Monday through Friday: 8:00AM TO 4:30PM
***Relocation expenses and/or incentives are NOT authorized.***
- Qualifications & Evaluations
- For this position, the job element method is used to match what you (the applicant) can do against what is required for the position. Your knowledge, skills, and abilities will be compared to the knowledge, skills, and abilities (called Job Elements) needed to success. Your qualififcation will first be evaluated against the prescribed screen out element, which typically appears as the first question in the online questionnaire. A specific length of training and experience is not required; however, you must show evidence of training or experience of sufficient scope and quality of your ability to do the work of this position. You must support your responses by DETAILED, specific descriptions of your experience in your federal resume.
Those applicants who appear to meet the screen out element are considered for further rating; those who do not are rated ineligible and are eliminated from consideration. The potential eligibles are then rated against the remainder of the questions.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS : The position requires performance of work which involves: lifting, carrying up to 45 pounds and over, sitting for extended periods driving, standing, walking, climbing, kneeling, bending, stooping, twisiting, pulling, pushing, grasping, fine manipulation, reaching, etc. Lifting supplies and/or equipment weighing up to 100 pounds.
WORKING CONDITIONS :
Work is both outside and inside in areas of medium to excessive heat, cold, humidity, dampness or chilling areas that have intermittent noise, dust , fumes, grease, dirt, oil, with exposure to electrical wires and energy. Areas may be slippery and/or uneven surfaces, in equipment rooms, tunnels, crawl spaces, penthouses, overhead catwalks, and scaffolding and/or in tight areas such as manholes and electrical (equipment) closets.
Some work is around equipment and machinery with moving parts and there are other hazards such as exposure to steam and hot water lines, pumps and other equipment, etc.
Evidence of specialized experience which demonstrates you possess the knowledge, skills, and ability to perform the duties of this position, must be supported by detailed descriptions of your experience on your resume. Applicants will be rated in accordance with the OPM Qualification Standard Handbook X-118C ( www.opm.gov/qualifications/x-118c ).
RELIABILITY AND DEPENDABILITY TO DO THE WORK OF A PIPEFITTER (SCREEN OUT)
***MUST POSSESS/PROVIDE PROOF AT TIME OF APPLICATION OF A VALID STATE MOTOR VEHICLE DRIVER LICENSE***
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE CANNOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
Your résumé and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
- Benefits & Other Info
- Working for the Department of Veterans Affairs offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes, in part, paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, life insurance, health benefits, and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System. In addition to traditional "dollars and cents" benefits, we offer a range of benefits to help balance work and life. For more information please visit us at http://www4.va.gov/JOBS/Job_Benefits/benefits.asp .
- How to Apply
***MUST POSSESS/PROVIDE PROOF OF A VALID STATE MOTOR VEHICLE DRIVER LICENSE***
To apply for this position , you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- Your Résumé
- A complete Occupational Questionnaire View Occupational Questionnaire
- Additional Required Documents (see Required Documents section below)
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Friday, August 30, 2013.
To begin the process, click the Apply Online button to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the occupational questionnaire. Please ensure you click the Submit My Answers button at the end of the process. Applicants are urged to apply online; this process is easier, faster, and provides more information as applications are processed.
Note: To return to a previously Saved or Incomplete application, simply reapply through your account in USAJOBS. After applying, return to USAJOBS ( https://my.usajobs.gov/Login.aspx ) to see the status of your application, including any messages that may have been sent to you.
If you cannot apply online:
- Click the following link to view and print the occupational questionnaire View Occupational Questionnaire .
- Print this 1203FX form to provide your response to the occupational questionnaire http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/OPM1203fx.pdf .
- Fax the completed 1203FX form along with any supporting documents to (478)757-3144. Your 1203FX will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.
To fax supporting documents you are unable to upload:
- Complete this cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf using the following Vacancy ID 940760.
- Fax your documents to (478)757-3144 .
- Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
- The Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) and Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) provide eligible displaced Federal competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. To be qualified you must submit appropriate documentation and be found well-qualified (have a final rating of 90 or more before any Veterans preference points) for this vacancy. Information about ICTAP and CTAP eligibility is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website at http://www.opm.gov/ctap/index.asp .
Receiving Service Credit for Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave : Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. VA may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their job-related non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
- Per Hour
- The following documents are required:
Résumé or Optional Application for Federal Employment (OF-612) .
Responses to the questionnaire.
Evidence of your eligibility to apply for this vacancy (please see checklist).
Any other documents required by the checklist .
- After we receive your complete application package (including all required documents), your qualifications will be reviewed and assigned an initial rating. We will also review your application to make sure that your résumé supports the answers given in the questionnaire. If your résumé does not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. Based on your ranking or numerical score, you may be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. You will be notified when your rating is determined.
- 15513-Status Candidates (Merit Promotion and VEOA Eligibles)
Department of Veterans Affairs - 17 months ago
The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is a government-run military veteran benefit system with Cabinet-level status. It is...