Job Title: PL Staff Underwriting Specialist
Job ID: 03448
Division : Personal Lines
Work Location(s): United States-Wisconsin-Madison
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
The PL Staff Underwriting Specialist develops and maintains corporate underwriting policies, guidelines, procedures, and processes for all personal lines products in an effort to maintain and improve the quality of our book of business in support of profit and loss objectives. Collaborates with PL Operations to implement corporate underwriting strategies and policies at the state, regional, and national levels. Partner with PL Line departments to articulate underwriting intent for new product development and product changes. Evaluates loss experience and provides field underwriting departments guidance on risk selection and monitors compliance of corporate underwriting guidelines, processes, procedures, legislative, and regulatory issues. Develops education and training materials to implement underwriting guidelines. Conducts underwriting audits, and establishes underwriting initiatives that align with the profit and growth plan.
- Underwriting Guidelines and Referral Management (45%)
- Develops and enhances specific personal lines underwriting policies and guidelines based on external industry and economic trends, and internal capabilities and business performance.
- Responsible for developing and coordinating the expert underwriting model, guidelines and processes.
- Responsible for updating and maintaining the Product Reference Manual (PRM).
- Collaborates with Actuarial on rating plan changes and enhancements; identify opportunities for additional pricing sophistication based on underwriting actions and results.
- Implement new corporate underwriting rules and eligibility guidelines and reference manuals; maintains underwriting guidelines and documentation on behalf of the division.
- Reviews and determines eligibility of individual risks outside the scope of underwriting line authority. Provides additional underwriting and loss control information on difficult or unique risks to minimize the overall risk exposure.
- Coordinates corporate underwriting initiatives that align to product strategies; provides input in the P&G planning process for underwriting initiatives.
- Collaborates with business technology and I/S to implement underwriting system changes and enhancements.
- Collaborates with PL Operations to coordinate underwriting referrals; partners with PL Operations leadership to implement underwriting referral guidelines and processes.
- Collaborate with PL product areas to articulate underwriting intent as part of developing new products, product changes and endorsements.
- Develops communication and education materials and coordinates launch efforts to PL operations, sales channels and other key business partners on underwriting policies, guidelines and process changes.
- Partners with Controller division to provide costs, benefits and financial analysis information as required for major corporate underwriting initiatives and projects.
- Underwriting Performance and Quality Control (25%)
- Determines risks that can't be priced; recommends changes to underwriting guidelines and risk selection parameters to ensure a quality book of business.
- Provides analysis of underwriting guidelines, risk selection parameters, and loss experience and recommends revisions to improve underwriting performance and drive profitable growth.
- Responsible for the development and refinement of detailed business system, operational, data and metric requirements for all underwriting guidelines and eligibility requirements.
- Determines the audit process and structure by identifying the focus of the audit, the audit criteria, the size of the sampling, and the method used to conduct the audit; summarizes audit results and provides recommendations for action if needed.
- Schedules, orders and conducts audits as needed to evaluate compliance with corporate underwriting rules, standards, practices and procedures.
- Collaborates with PL Operations to coordinate audits of underwriters and agents to ensure continuous improvement of corporate underwriting rules, standards, practices and procedures.
- Vendor Management (15%)
- Provide input on underwriting vendor selection.
- Partner with PL leadership and operations solicit feedback on vendor performance; monitors and reports on vendor performance issues to ensure service level agreements are met.
- Works with PL Operations Performance and Metrics unit to establish appropriate vendor metrics.
- Provides analysis on vendor metrics and makes recommendations for changes and improvements.
- Competitive Research and Legislative Review (15%)
- Responsible for underwriting competitive research and determines the impacts to the overall corporate underwriting policies and guidelines.
- Conducts the analysis of proposed regulations and legislation and the potential impact on underwriting and risk selection. Identifies and assesses divisional underwriting compliance risks.
- Conducts ongoing research and legislative reviews to determine impacts to underwriting policies and guidelines.
- Maintains awareness and adheres to statutory, regulatory, and court actions which affect risk selection, processes, and procedures; advises Auto/Property Line departments of such actions.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Achieve Results
- Be Accountable
- Maximize Customer Experience
- Analytical Thinking
- Process Management
- Demonstrated experience developing underwriting guidelines and procedures.
- Demonstrated experience performing financial or business analysis.
- Demonstrated experience using audit techniques and methodologies.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of Property and Casualty Insurance product design, pricing, and underwriting concepts.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of market research and marketplace trends in Personal Lines coverage.
- This position requires travel up to 25% of the time.
Please review the job requirements.
American Family Insurance - 23 months ago
copy to clipboard
American Family Insurance offers auto, home, life & annuities, health, business and farm & ranch insurance. We’ve expanded...