This employee manages the customer service function for the Arlington County, Virginia Zoning Office. The customer experience begins at the customer service counter and our “best” managers are out front managing this experience. This employee manages the delivery of customer service, plan review, permit issuance, applications processing, and record keeping activities for the office. The position is responsible for the supervision and training of the front counter staff team which includes five Zoning Planners.
Specific duties include:
The successful candidate for this position must be energetic and have strong customer service and communication skills (both written and verbal), and must be a creative and analytical problem solver, a self starter, resourceful, willing to embrace new ideas and projects, as well as be able to handle the unknown, multi-task effectively and work in a fast-paced environment. A passion for customer service work and building relationships with other departments, agencies and groups are key components of this position.
- Interpreting the Zoning Ordinance;
- Monitoring the level of customer service and responding to customer needs;
- Setting goals, objectives, and establishing priorities;
- Supervising and training the front counter staff and evaluating staff performance;
- Coordinating and integrating work processes across section and program lines;
- Providing assistance and information to staff, citizen groups, developers, contractors, attorneys, engineers, and other departments with regard to the Zoning Ordinance;
- Researching and analyzing complex zoning issues;
- Preparing recommendations for the Zoning Administrator; and
- Providing staff support to the Board of Zoning Appeals in the absence of the BZA Coordinator.
Minimum: Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning, Public Administration, or related field, plus three years of progressively responsible experience in urban planning, specifically in zoning and land use, planning, or plan review.
Substitution: Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis. A Master’s degree in Planning or a closely related field may be substituted for one year of the experience requirement.
a) familiarity with the Virginia Code or Arlington’s Zoning Ordinance;
b) certification as a Certified Zoning Official or equivalent;
c) experience working with community, neighborhood, non-profit and business groups, public/private organizations;
d) experience working with a local government;
e) experience coordinating and/or supervising a customer service work unit; and/or
f) Masters degree in Business Administration, Urban Planning, Engineering or related field.
These positions are funded by the County’s CPHD Development Fund which is a self-supporting entity that derives its revenue from fees charged for all building and related services to the building industry.
This is a 40 hour a week position, with flexible work hours generally between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm Monday through Friday. Occasional evening and weekend work will be required to attend Board of Zoning Appeals and other meetings.
This position is part of an alternative pay program that includes career path and pay-for-performance elements and an extended salary ceiling. Entry salary within the band is negotiable dependent upon qualifications and experience.