Arlington County is currently recruiting to fill a senior management position located in the Water Pollution Control Bureau(WPCB), Department of Environmental Services. The employee in this position is responsible for safely managing all programs, sections, activities and approximately 50 professional, technical and skilled trades staff within the Operations Section of the WPCB.
The position directly supervises four operations Shift Supervisors, Control Engineering Technicians, and an Operations Specialist. This position may also substitute in the absence of the Bureau Chief and as assigned.
Specific duties include:
- safely managing and problem-solving plant operations to ensure efficient and cost effective services that are compliant with regulatory, permit, and grant requirements;
- managing the Operations Section budget, including ensuring the timely processing of inter-jurisdictional billings;
- ensuring the development and delivery of comprehensive training and safety programs;
- setting program goals, developing work plans and developing and evaluating performance measures;
- performing the full-range of supervisory duties for approximately 7 direct reports;
- collaborating with the Maintenance Section Manager and Bureau management to develop short and long term activities and program plans;
- interfacing with contractors to ensure proper start-ups and shut-downs of systems and equipment, effective problem-solving, responsible decision-making and timely generation of process procedures and training documents; and
- ensuring the timely collection and analysis of program data to generate accurate required reports.
Minimum: Bachelor's degree in Engineering, or Engineering Technology or in Physical Science, Biological, or Chemical Science or Engineering or closely related area, plus three years of progressively responsible experience in industrial plant operations management. The progressively responsible experience must include direct supervisory experience, and at least eighteen months of experience as an operator at a water or wastewater plant. See "Special Requirements" below.
Completion of supplemental questionnaire required. Do not put "see resume" as answers to supplemental questions.
Substitution: Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the education requirement on a year for year basis such that a combination of education and progressively responsible experience in plant operations management, and/or water or wastewater treatment operations management is equal to seven years. Education beyond Bachelor's degree may not substitute for experience.
a) extensive experience supervising trades employees in a water/wastewater operations type of environment;
b) training or (preferably) experience which provided extensive knowledge of wastewater processing, in particular, activated sludge treatment and advanced chemical treatment of sludge;
c) experience handling a variety of management and administrative functions, either in water wastewater or industrial environment, including but not limited to long range planning, budget and personnel; and/or
d) Licensure as a Professional Engineer, and/or certification as highest level water/wastewater operator in state of residence/employment.
1) Applicant must possess or have the ability to obtain a Class I Wastewater Operator’s License issued by the Virginia State Board of Certification of Operators of Water and Wastewater Works within one year of appointment. License requirements can be found on the state of Virginia website: www.state.va.us/dpor/www_regs.htm.
2) The applicant must possess, or obtain by the time of appointment, a valid motor vehicle operator’s license from the applicant’s place of residence and the applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide a copy of the applicant’s official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment may be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant’s driving record.
Starting salary will depend upon the qualifications and experience of the candidate selected. This position is in the Arlington County Government’s Extended Management Accountability Program (XMAP), in which Senior Executives are eligible for a negotiated salary/benefits package and are evaluated and compensated on the basis of a performance agreement linked to the County Management Plan, results achieved, and a multi-rater appraisal. XMAP is a flexible total rewards/compensation system directly linked to performance and the market.
For more information on Arlington’s family friendly benefits, click here .
This position is open until filled. Applications will be reviewed on a continuous basis. Interviews will be scheduled with those candidates whose qualifications best fit our needs. The application process will close when the position has been filled or when a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received.
Work Hours: 8am to 5pm, Monday through Friday. However, this position requires on call availability 24 hours/day, 7 days/week for work issues.
Arlington County, VA - 18 months ago