EVENING SHIFT WORK HOURS: 1100 AM - 8:00 PM, MONDAY - FRIDAY.
Psychiatric Nursing Asst I works under the direct supervision of the Director of Admissions with some latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. Performs routine patient care in order to facilitate the patients’ admission to RSH. Assists in establishing and maintaining an environment that is therapeutic for persons with mental illness. Requires physical and mental abilities to learn and perform the essential job tasks. Work includes sharing responsibility with other Admission staff for the daily supervision, care and general welfare of patients while they are in the Admission area and while patients are being processed for admission. Requires communicating with other staff regarding patients. Is responsible for patient’s safety during the admission process and safekeeping of personal items. Escorts patients to assigned unit. Must be able to manage aggressive behavior in accordance with DSHS and Rusk State Hospital policy. Must understand that duties, location of work and shift/pattern are subject to change as determined by the administration to meet the needs of the hospital. May be required to relieve on units during emergency staff shortages. Must understand that duties may include exposure to blood or other potentially infectious materials. Employee actively partipates and/or serves in a supporting role to meet the agency's obligations for disaster response and/or recovery or Continuity of Operations (COOP) activation. Supports the mission and vision of the facility.
Essential Job Functions:
Attends work on a regular and predictable schedule in accordance with agency leave policy and performs other duties as assigned.
1. Monitors patients as assigned in order to respond appropriately to ensure patient safety. Performs CPR techniques correctly and safety according to the specifications of the AMA. 20%
2. Screens warrants/commitments/medication orders/MHA screening forms and all admitting paperwork to determine if patient has been screened by MHA and legal paperwork is in order. 5%
3. Exhibits proficiency in crisis intervention, verbal de-escalation and PMAB in order to avert crisis situations and to ensure the health and safety of patients. Utilization of therapeutic communication skills. 15%
4. Completes data entry. 5%
5. Conducts admission interview, explaining patient rights, confidentiality, forms; obtains signatures, prepares photo identification, makes blue/addressograph card and stamps chart, marks patient's clothing in order to facilitate the admission process. 20%
6. Completes pre-admission tasks as required such as facilitating physician with dr. calls after appropriate paperwork and approval received, verifies admission status and obtains RSH/BHIS numbers; provides demographic information to medical records and reimbursement, verifying MHA approval, verifying admission elgibility prior to patient's arrival/acceptance, etc. 5%
7. Conducts search of patients and their belongings in order to ensure safety of patients and staff by detecting and removing contraband and the appropriate distribution and documentation of patient property to safeguard the patient's property/valuables. 10%
8. As part of the trust fund and storage pick, the 550 and 550-A forms will be reconciled with what is actually found and discrepancies will be reported to the Director of Admissions and corrected. Any loss of property will be reported immediately. A second staff will initial each 550 and 550-A form, thereby verifying all items that were to be picked up by trust fund/storage and have been picked up/accounted for. 5%
9. Notifies the MHA of patients admitted without approval from the appropriate MHA. 5%
10. Assembles charts and packets to ensure flow of work from shift to shift. 5%
11. Performs other duties as assigned in order to ensure services are provided. Other duties as assigned include but are not limited to actively participating and/or serving in a supporting role to meet the agency's obligations for disaster response and/or recovery or Continuity of Operations (COOP) activation. Such participation may require an alternate shift pattern assignment and/or location. 5%
Knowledge Skills Abilities:
Ability to organize tasks.
Ability to work harmoniously with patients and people in a wide variety of positions and accept supervision.
Prefer knowledge of the Positive Performance Program.
General understanding of the work philosophy of continuous quality improvement.
Personality traits that reflect a sincere interest in aiding people to obtain the highest possible functional level of development.
Ability to learn basic techniques and acquire knowledge in care and treatment.
Ability to read, write and understand English so as to effectively communicate and carry out verbal and written instructions.
Must be physically and mentally able to perform PMAB, CPR and other tasks assigned.
Ability to communicate with persons on various levels within the organization.
Sign language preferred.
Registration or Licensure Requirements:
Initial Selection Criteria:
1. High school diploma or GED.
2. Computer knowledge/data entry experience.
3. Prefer experience working with patients in a psychiatric setting.
EVENING SHIFT WORK HOURS: 1100 AM - 8:00 PM, MONDAY - FRIDAY.
Must be willing to work an alternate work schedule that may include after the hours of 11:00 am - 8:00 pm, holidays, weekends and when necessary to meet deadlines as well as assignment of others.
This is a DSHS State Hospital direct client contact position.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), HHS agencies will provide reasonable accommodation during the hiring and selection process for qualified individuals with a disability. If you need assistance completing the on-line application, contact the AccessHR service center at 1-888-894-4747. If you are contacted for an interview and need accommodation to participate in the interview process, please notify the person scheduling the interview. reg#222259
Texas Department of Family and Protective Services - 17 months ago
PNA I ADMISSIONS CLERK
Dept of State Health Services
Texas Health and Human Services Commission
- 15 days ago