HBPD IS LOOKING FOR QUALIFIED ACADEMY-TRAINED POLICE OFFICERS. ALTHOUGH THIS RECRUITMENT IS CONTINUOUS, THE NEXT TEST WILL BE HELD ON TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 6, 2012 . TUESDAY , FEBRUARY 12, 2013 FUTURE TESTING DATES WILL BE POSTED AT A LATER DATE.
Candidates for this recruitment must have graduated from a California POST approved Basic Police Academy within the last twelve (12) months, and have either
n Not worked as a sworn officer, or
n Worked as a sworn officer for less than one (1)
year and/or have not completed probation
Perform police duties in an assigned division; uniform, investigation, special services or administrative services.
Examples of Essential Duties:
Generally, a police officer’s first assignment is to the uniform division. After a sufficient period of patrol duty, the police officer becomes eligible for police assignments in traffic, the detective bureau, special services and administrative services division.
Patrols an assigned area of the City by car, motorcycle, or helicopter and investigates suspicious conditions; responds to emergency calls and provides emergency assistance; conducts preliminary and/or follow-up investigations of disturbances, complaints, prowlers, burglaries, thefts, holdups, vehicle accidents, deaths, suicides, etc. and gathers and preserves evidence; prepares evidence, reports, diagrams and records for files and/or presentation in court and sets up and maintains case files; maintains a daily log including documentation of responses to emergency calls; issues warnings and citations and apprehends criminals; directs traffic, including regulation of vehicle flow at fires, parades, funerals, and other emergencies or congested situations; searches for stolen property and missing persons; transports prisoners; serves warrants and subpoenas, and testifies in court; performs desk officer duties providing information and direction over the phone and in person; analyzes various bureau activities and reports on the efficiency of existing programs and system; compiles statistics; trains police recruits and other sworn personnel; performs other related duties.
The preceding duties have been provided as examples of the essential types of work performed by positions within this job classification. The City, at its discretion, may add, modify, change or rescind work assignments as needed
Any combination of education, training, and experience that would likely provide the knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform in the position is qualifying. A typical combination includes:
Knowledge of: Public safety laws and rules; proper search and seizure and arrest procedures.
Ability to: Apply public safety laws and rules to daily situations; analyze problems and to rationally and calmly take effective action in emergency and stress situations.
Education: Requires completion of twelfth grade or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required skills. Specific courses are required for advancement within the department.
Experience: Requires completion of a California POST approved Basic Police Academy within the last 12 months, and less than one (1) year of sworn officer experience.
License: Valid California driver's license.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCEDURE:
PLEASE NOTE: Our primary means of communication with applicants/candidates is sent via email; therefore, please include a valid email address on your application.
- An official online application must be completed in its entirety . Please attach a copy of your California POST Basic Police Academy Certificate. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- All applications will be closely reviewed for relevant experience, education, and training. The top candidates best meeting the City's needs will be invited to the written test (Pass/Fail),
- THE NEXT TEST WILL BE HELD ON TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 6, 2012. TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 12, 2013.
- Applications for this test date will be accepted until January 25, 2013. Applications received after that date will be considered for a future test date TBD .
- All candidates meeting the minimum requirements will not necessarily be invited to test. The test consists of two components: a spelling test and a report writing test. A list of words from which 25 will be taken for the test is will be e-mailed to you with the invitation to test.
- Successful candidates will be invited to the physical agility test immediately following the written exam. This test consists of four timed components: a dummy drag, a vehicle push, an obstacle course and a 440 run. For additional information, please go to http://www.huntingtonbeachca.gov/government/departments/pd/ and click on Recruitment Info.
- Successful candidates will be invited to an oral interview, tentatively scheduled to begin on that same day,
- Successful candidates will be placed on an employment eligible list from which hires may be made. The employment eligible list is valid for up to one year, unless exhausted sooner.
- Candidates considered for hire must undergo a comprehensive background investigation, which includes (but is not limited to) LiveScan fingerprinting, polygraph exam, credit check, reference/employer checks, DOJ and FBI checks, etc.
- Upon a conditional offer of employment, a psychological examination and a pre-placement medical evaluation/drug screening must be completed with acceptable results.
- Upon hire, employee is subject to further reporting from DOJ via subsequent arrest notification.
Physical Tasks & Environmental Conditions:
City of Huntington Beach, CA - 2 years ago