IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS :
The application process will be limited to a 48-hour filing period (Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 12:00 NOON Pacific Time (PT) to Friday, May 17, 2013 at 12:00 NOON PT . Applications will first be screened for minimum qualifications. Candidates selected to participate will be contacted after the application screening is complete.
Applications WILL BE ACCEPTED BEGINNING 5/15/13 AT 12:00 NOON PT AND MUST BE RECEIVED BY 5/17/13 AT 12:00 NOON PT
•ONLY ON-LINE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED. NO WALK-IN OR DROPPED OFF APPLICATIONS WILL BE PERMITTED
•ONLY ONE APPLICATION MAY BE SUBMITTED PER PERSON
•THE WRITTEN TEST WILL BE HELD AT 8:00 AM ON TUESDAY, JUNE 11, 2013 . THE PHYSICAL AGILITY TEST WILL BE HELD AT 1:00 PM THAT SAME DAY FOR THOSE WHO PASS THE WRITTEN TEST. (Please refer to "Selection Procedure" below for complete details)
The Huntington Beach Police Department is seeking qualified candidates who are prepared physically, mentally and academically for the full-time Police Academy and a long-term career in the law enforcement profession. The ideal candidate will possess excellent academic skills to learn and retain city, state and federal laws, mental skills to deal with the stress of a police environment, and the physical ability to meet the standards set forth by the department.and to undergo state-mandated basic peace officer training as required by the California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training.
Recruits are sent to either the Golden West College Police Academy or the Orange County Sheriff's Department Police Academy.
This is an entry level or trainee class where incumbents will be presented with a wide variety of training experiences while attending a POST-certified basic police academy. After meeting all department, state-mandated and academy requirements, including graduation from the Police Academy, the incumbent will be reclassified to the class of Police Officer.
Examples of Essential Duties:
Attends a basic POST-certified academy, the curriculum of which is mandated by the California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training and/or the local Police Academy Advisory Committee. This training consists of an entire overview of the criminal justice system, which includes, but may not be limited to, various laws, police procedures, law enforcement techniques, first aid and lifetime physical fitness.
The preceding duties have been provided as examples of the essential types of work performed by positions within this job classification. The City, at its discretion, may add, modify, change or rescind work assignments as needed.
Any combination of education, training, and experience that would likely provide the knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform in the position is qualifying. A typical combination includes:
Ability to: Observe and learn such things as laws, police procedures, law enforcement techniques and first aid; analyze problems and rationally and calmly take effective action in emergency and stressful situations; undergo strenuous physical conditioning, meeting or exceeding required standards of performance; read and interpret highly complex written materials: laws, statutes, manuals, etc.; clearly and concisely present ideas orally and in writing.
Education: Requires high school graduation or GED Certificate.
License: Valid California driver's license.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCEDURE
PLEASE NOTE: Our primary means of communication with applicants/candidates is sent via email; therefore, please include a valid email address on your application.
- An official online application must be completed in its entirety . Incomplete applications will not be accepted
- Applications will be accepted only from Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 12:00 noon Pacific Time (PT) to Friday, May 17, 2013 at 12:00 noon PT.
- The written examination (Pass/Fail), lasting approximately 3 1/2 hours, will be administered on Tuesday, June 11, 2013 at 8:00 AM. Results will be posted shortly after the completion of the test.
- Candidates who pass the written exam will then be invited to participate in the physical agility test scheduled for 1:00 PM that same day.
- Candidates passing the physical agility examination (Pass/Fail) will be given an oral interview time to be held on Wednesday, June 12, 2013 to Friday, June 14, 2013 (if necessary) and is weighted 100% of the total score. This score will determine rank on the eligibility list.
- Candidates successful at passing every testing component will be placed on an employment eligible list from which hires may be made. The employment eligible list is valid for up to one year, unless exhausted sooner.
- Candidates considered for hire must undergo a comprehensive background investigation, which includes (but is not limited to) LiveScan fingerprinting, polygraph exam, credit check, reference/employer checks, DOJ and FBI checks, etc.
- Upon hire, employee is subject to further reporting from DOJ via subsequent arrest notification.
Physical Tasks & Environmental Conditions:
City of Huntington Beach, CA - 19 months ago