Division: Production & Supply
Function: Production & Processing Technology
State/Province: Idaho [ID]
Country: United States [US]
Position Title: PPT Parent Characterization Lead
Job ID: 3688
- Lead a group of Production and Processing Technology (PPT) research scientists/agronomists/technicians
- Lead the implementation of all Large Seed Vegetable (LSV) parent characterization, agronomic and seed processing trals.
- Coordinate the development and maintenance of all field production and drying and processing recipes for new introductions of inbreds varieties and traits
- Measure and document yield and costs impacts of new parent and trait introductions
- Be a key leader to propose actions for yield improvement and yield stability
- Partner with Field and Processing Leads and Production personnel to incorporate plant and field learning/knowledge into product recipes
- Provide material and labor support to further the adoption and implementation of key PPT initiatives such as NoE and CMT.
- Lead a group of PPT research scientists/agronomists/technicians and manage their performance and career development
- Provide timely and accurate data to define producibility, target (planning) yield, and estimate yield variability through the effective management of field trial programs and the definition of production recipes.
- Define and implement actions/projects to support the continued improvement of planning yield versus growing area sourcing.
- Participate in the hybrid advancement and commercialization process to ensure continual improvement in overall yield.
- Support multiplication operations in troubleshooting when there are significant deviations in either yield, process efficiency or quality
- Prioritize and align resources through effective integration with adjacent functions, managing resource conflicts and coordinating the annual budget and project management processes.
- Ensure full HSES compliance and promote environmentally sustainable solutions within reporting group
- Leads multiple diverse simultaneous technical projects in LSV ; expand to Diversified Field Crops and Cereals (DFCC)
- Coordinate the development of all field production and processing recipes in collaboration with the Seed Production organization.
- Facilitate the dissemination of germplasm and producibility knowledge across PPT, Production and Product Development organizations.
- Control the active transfer of learnings and recommendations into meetings and workshops with local Production and Supply Chain.
- Partner with PPT Field and Processing Leads and Production personnel to ensure a complete exchange of parent and hybrid information and plant and field learning/knowledge into product recipes for seed production operations.
- Provide material and labor support to further the adoption and implementation of key PPT initiatives such as NoE and CMT. Ensure full HSE compliance and promote environmentally sustainable solutions.
- Representation of Syngenta: Builds trust inside the company and in the local community showing ethical considerations and Syngenta values are reflected in company activities. Effectively promotes PPT and Syngenta Brand inside the company and with customers and stakeholders.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
Critical knowledge: :
- PhD in agronomy or related plant science or MS with significant relevant experience.
- Thorough grasp of Large Seed Vegetable (LSV) and Diversified Field Crops and Cereals (DFCC) seed production.
- Familiarity with basic plant breeding and introgression development processes and techniques.
- Thorough understanding of experimental design and statistics
- Seeds production processing technology acumen with an understanding of breeding and genetics
- Organization; planning, pro-activity and reactivity Leadership; Flexibility and Availability
- Communication; impactful,open-minded, with an aptitude to develop easy contacts with all customers
- Cross functional and multi-cultural project management aptitude
Critical technical, professional and personal capabilities:
- Must possess expert critical thinking capability;
- Must have energy, drive and persistenence
- Must possess advanced capability in influencing and negotiation
Critical leadership capabilities:
- Must have advanced capabilities in setting ambitious strategic goals;
- Must have advanced ability to communicate with impact;
- Must be proficient at building a culture of innovation;
- Must have proficient skills to develop people, organization and self;
- Must have expert ability to collaborate across boundaries.
Critical Success Factors & Key Challenges:
- Expertise in team and project management and leadership
- Seed supply planning and life cycle management
- Statistical and data visualization and presentation expertise
- All applicants must be eligible to work in the US.
- Ability to work days, evenings and weekends.
- Must be able to travel by car or plane.
- Ability to walk fields in all weather conditions
- Ability to operate standard office equipment including phone, fax, copier and computer.
- 65%of work performed in standard office.
- 35% of work performed in field locations or meetings.
Plagues of locusts, weevils, or any other kind of crop-destroying bugs were no match for Syngenta Crop Protection. The subsidiary of...