Division: Production & Supply
Function: Production & Processing Technology
State/Province: Iowa [IA]
Country: United States [US]
Position Title: PPT Seed Production Agronomist
Job ID: 3690
- Use agronomic expertise to assist in identification, design, preparation, planting, maintenance, harvest, and analysis of parent characterization and production research studies.
- Manage field activities for parent characterization, agronomic and cultural practice studies.
- Take lead role farm/lab activities at home research site, including primary tillage, fertilization, seedbed preparation, irrigation, harvest, grain handling, equipment maintenance, and lab preparation of seed samples for analysis.
- Coordinate day-to-day research and farming activities and manage personnel workload and task assignments at the research site.
- Take the lead on the project management and execution of most agronomic and cultural practice trials.
- Assure that field activities for all projects (planting, plot maintenance, and harvest) for research plots are executed. This includes routine site/farm maintenance activities such as tillage, soil sampling, and fertilizer applications, planting plots, applying/implementing treatments, collecting observations and in-season data, and maintaining the plots throughout the growing season. Fall activities include harvest stand counts and actual plot harvest.
- Assist with determination of research topics and design studies. Identify and prioritize important study topics, determine seed and other input entry lists, designing studies, and making all necessary pre-planting preparations to conduct studies.
- Develop and maintain two-way communications with various functional customers; Supply Chain, Product Development, Supply Planning, Parent Seed and Quality Assurance. This may also includes other seed industry contacts (University, Chemical Reps tec.) outside of Syngenta.
- Hire, manage and develop part-time workers.
- Analyze data and prepare research reports and presentations. Interpret analysis and develop presentations for functional customers.
- Present research and general agronomic information to functional customers. Research agronomists’ present information through a number of formal and informal avenues and must be able to communicate with audiences ranging from scientists to producers.
- Equipment/Farm maintenance: Research equipment must constantly be maintained and updated to insure maximum precision in all treatment applications. This area includes lead responsibility in daily routine maintenance activities and seasonal equipment preparation.
- Personal development. Attend Company sanctioned and/or outside source agronomic events and/or personal development and communication skills training seminars as agreed upon with Supervisor.
- Ensure full HSE compliance and promote environmentally sustainable solutions.
- Any additional duties assign by management
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
Critical knowledge: :
- MS in Agronomy or related field preferred; BS in Agronomy or related field with significant relevant experience eligible; research experience required;
- A basic understanding of hybrid seed production and of pest management, crop physiology, and plant growth and development and familiarity with basic plant breeding processes and techniques.
- Basic understanding of experimental design and statistics
- 1 – 3 years field research experience and analysis of research data;
- Experience operating lab and farm equipment.
- Have a Pesticide Applicators licence and CDL for transport of farm equipment to off-site research locations, or the ability to quickly obtain them.
Critical technical, professional and personal capabilities:
- Ability to use a personal computer to create graphs, data tables, and presentations.
- Ability to conduct and interpret statistical analysis of data.
- Ability to obtain a Pesticide Applicators licence and possibliy a CDL operators license for transport of farm equipment to off-site research locations.
- Ability to effectively operate a wide variety of farm equipment.
- Good personnel and facility management skills.
Critical leadership capabilities:
- Customer-Focused; ensure research portfolio meets needs of end-user
- Results-Oriented; results must deliver measurable value to customers
- Communicative; constructive two way dialog with multiple departments and personalities
- Team-Oriented; realize that departmental goals can only be achieved through site co-operation
- Innovative; ability to problem solve in various environments
Critical Success Factors & Key Challenges:
- Properly organize the research project portfolio.
- Seasonal temporary labor is required to meet departmental needs; management (hiring, training, development) of this labor source along with the quality of work provided by them.
- All applicants must be eligible to work in the US.
- Outside work for a majority of the growing season
- Requires long hours during peak seasonal periods.
- Field work involves operating a wide range of farm equipment of multiple sizes.
- Requires occasional lifting of up to 60 pounds during the physically demanding growing season
- Exposure to inclement weather conditions while working outside.
- Pesticide exposure during pesticide application which is a required element of work tasks and use of suitable protective clothing is required, regardless of weather conditions or personal comfort preferences.
Syngenta - 23 months ago
copy to clipboard
Plagues of locusts, weevils, or any other kind of crop-destroying bugs were no match for Syngenta Crop Protection. The subsidiary of...