Division: Production & Supply
Function: Production & Processing Technology
State/Province: Iowa [IA]
Country: United States [US]
Position Title: PPT Seed Production Agronomist
Job ID: 3690
- Use agronomic expertise to assist in identification, design, preparation, planting, maintenance, harvest, and analysis of parent characterization and production research studies.
- Manage field activities for parent characterization, agronomic and cultural practice studies.
- Take lead role farm/lab activities at home research site, including primary tillage, fertilization, seedbed preparation, irrigation, harvest, grain handling, equipment maintenance, and lab preparation of seed samples for analysis.
- Coordinate day-to-day research and farming activities and manage personnel workload and task assignments at the research site.
- Take the lead on the project management and execution of most agronomic and cultural practice trials.
- Assure that field activities for all projects (planting, plot maintenance, and harvest) for research plots are executed. This includes routine site/farm maintenance activities such as tillage, soil sampling, and fertilizer applications, planting plots, applying/implementing treatments, collecting observations and in-season data, and maintaining the plots throughout the growing season. Fall activities include harvest stand counts and actual plot harvest.
- Assist with determination of research topics and design studies. Identify and prioritize important study topics, determine seed and other input entry lists, designing studies, and making all necessary pre-planting preparations to conduct studies.
- Develop and maintain two-way communications with various functional customers; Supply Chain, Product Development, Supply Planning, Parent Seed and Quality Assurance. This may also includes other seed industry contacts (University, Chemical Reps tec.) outside of Syngenta.
- Hire, manage and develop part-time workers.
- Analyze data and prepare research reports and presentations. Interpret analysis and develop presentations for functional customers.
- Present research and general agronomic information to functional customers. Research agronomists’ present information through a number of formal and informal avenues and must be able to communicate with audiences ranging from scientists to producers.
- Equipment/Farm maintenance: Research equipment must constantly be maintained and updated to insure maximum precision in all treatment applications. This area includes lead responsibility in daily routine maintenance activities and seasonal equipment preparation.
- Personal development. Attend Company sanctioned and/or outside source agronomic events and/or personal development and communication skills training seminars as agreed upon with Supervisor.
- Ensure full HSE compliance and promote environmentally sustainable solutions.
- Any additional duties assign by management
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
Critical knowledge: :
- MS in Agronomy or related field preferred; BS in Agronomy or related field with significant relevant experience eligible; research experience required;
- A basic understanding of hybrid seed production and of pest management, crop physiology, and plant growth and development and familiarity with basic plant breeding processes and techniques.
- Basic understanding of experimental design and statistics
- 1 – 3 years field research experience and analysis of research data;
- Experience operating lab and farm equipment.
- Have a Pesticide Applicators licence and CDL for transport of farm equipment to off-site research locations, or the ability to quickly obtain them.
Critical technical, professional and personal capabilities:
- Ability to use a personal computer to create graphs, data tables, and presentations.
- Ability to conduct and interpret statistical analysis of data.
- Ability to obtain a Pesticide Applicators licence and possibliy a CDL operators license for transport of farm equipment to off-site research locations.
- Ability to effectively operate a wide variety of farm equipment.
- Good personnel and facility management skills.
Critical leadership capabilities:
- Customer-Focused; ensure research portfolio meets needs of end-user
- Results-Oriented; results must deliver measurable value to customers
- Communicative; constructive two way dialog with multiple departments and personalities
- Team-Oriented; realize that departmental goals can only be achieved through site co-operation
- Innovative; ability to problem solve in various environments
Critical Success Factors & Key Challenges:
- Properly organize the research project portfolio.
- Seasonal temporary labor is required to meet departmental needs; management (hiring, training, development) of this labor source along with the quality of work provided by them.
- All applicants must be eligible to work in the US.
- Outside work for a majority of the growing season
- Requires long hours during peak seasonal periods.
- Field work involves operating a wide range of farm equipment of multiple sizes.
- Requires occasional lifting of up to 60 pounds during the physically demanding growing season
- Exposure to inclement weather conditions while working outside.
- Pesticide exposure during pesticide application which is a required element of work tasks and use of suitable protective clothing is required, regardless of weather conditions or personal comfort preferences.
Plagues of locusts, weevils, or any other kind of crop-destroying bugs were no match for Syngenta Crop Protection. The subsidiary of...