Job Description : PRINCIPAL MECHANICAL ENGINEER
The primary responsibility of this position is to act as a consult to management applying advanced principles, theories, and concepts to product development. The incumbent is viewed as the technical expert within the Mechanical Engineering field and represents department culture through example, leadership and excellent communication skills. This individual is responsible for independently developing technical programs, project plans and resource plans to address complex problems, meeting design requirements, and optimizing the mechanics of medical instrument systems without appreciable direction. The position requires extensive technical expertise, wide application of mechanical engineering and full knowledge of associated technologies and manufacturing processes. The incumbent guides the successful completion of major programs and functions in a project leadership role with responsibilities to manage/direct mechanical engineering resources, develop and maintain project plans and effectively deliver all mechanical engineering work products.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Represent department culture through example, leadership and excellent communication skills.
• Provide leadership in developing, maintaining and oversight of mechanical engineering plans to ensure mechanical engineering project objectives and deliverables are predictably and consistently achieved.
• Function in a project leadership role with responsibilities to manage/direct mechanical engineering resources, develop and maintain project plans and effectively deliver all mechanical engineering work products in accordance with mechanical engineering processes and to acceptable quality standards.
• Provides leadership in developing high quality, cost effective and reliable mechanical designs that meet or exceed design requirements. Directs mechanical engineering resources in analysis and optimization of designs for innovative and existing manufacturing or processing methods. Directs and coordinates fabrication activities to ensure products and systems conform to engineering design and customer specifications.
• Provide technical information concerning current and future manufacturing or processing techniques, materials, properties, and process advantages and limitations that affect mechanical engineering planning.
• Directs, plans and coordinates design, development and fabrication of concept, breadboard and prototype mechanical designs or complex mechanical systems.
• Directs all mechanical engineering resources in the preparation of product or system layout, detailed drawings, technical specifications, schematics, engineering change orders and bills of materials.
• Function in a project leadership role with responsibilities to plan, implement, compile and analyze operational, test, and research data to establish performance standards for newly designed or modified equipment or product.
• Function in a project leadership role with responsibilities to plan, implement and oversee the use of computer assisted engineering and equipment to formulate and test mechanical design concepts and designs.
• Represent mechanical engineering in the development of system requirements, system architecture, system error budgets and risk analysis.
Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering and 8+ years experience in a related field required. Expert in design, development and realization of complex mechanical systems, machine design and control systems. The individual must demonstrate proven abilities through structured approaches to conceptualization, design and development of complex mechanical systems and machine design. Demonstrated knowledge and expertise of plastic parts processing, metal casting, sheet metal, metal machining, materials science, coatings and finishes. The individual must have proven abilities in the areas of Design for Cost, Design for Reliability and Design for Manufacture through the use of industry standard tools and techniques. Excellent grasp of computer systems with a focus on CAE/CAD (NX, TeamCenter Unified Architecture, CFD, ANSYS and NX Motion preferred), file transfer methods, 2D & 3D file formats and networked interrelationships in a design atmosphere. Understand complex Product Life Cycle Management systems and how they interface with others