AbbVie (NYSE: ABBV) is a global, research-based biopharmaceutical company formed in 2013 following separation from Abbott. AbbVie combines the focus and passion of a leading-edge biotech with the expertise and capabilities of a long-established pharmaceutical leader to develop and market advanced therapies that address some of the world’s most complex and serious diseases. In 2013, AbbVie will employ approximately 21,000 people worldwide and markets medicines in more than 170 countries.
PRIMARY FUNCTION / PRIMARY GOALS / OBJECTIVES:
- Leads technical projects and contribute to others
- Provides technical support and training for the plant’s manufacturing areas
- Initiates, designs and executes programs to optimize processes, to meet plant efficiency programs, or to meet target yields, cost controls, customer specifications, and legal regulations, and product quality attributes.
- Responsible for scaling up the process from lab scale or pilot plant scale to production
- Responsible for technical transfer
- Trouble shoots and solves difficult chemical engineering problems independently
- Responsible for compliance with GMP and GLP guidelines
- Reviews and drafts technical report and regulatory reports
- Writes and reviews technical reports (self and others)
- Leads troubleshooting of product failures and recommends remediation direction
- Recommend methods or corrections in technical reviews to insure project completion.
Level of Expertise:
Level of Leadership:
- Bases chemical engineering decisions on sound scientific judgment.
- Maintains and applies state-of-the-art chemical engineering knowledge.
- Evaluates and integrates relevant engineering advances for improving or solving problems
- Understands the business implications of assigned products and processes and identifies engineering solutions compatible with business needs.
- Designs, plans and executes project related tasks.
- Designs and executes experiments to test hypothesis related to project outcomes.
- Applies advanced scientific knowledge to projects; determines priorities for experiments. Independently designs and executes experiments. Assures experimental quality through sound, independent, experimental design.
- Identifies and implements technical alternatives from literature review.
- Familiar with lab environment and safety practices.
- Applies basic and some advanced computer skills (includes word processing, spreadsheets, instrumentation related to Abbott network systems and advanced technical software).
- Applies advanced technical writing skills to produce reports and documents; writes independently and evaluates the writing of others.
- Applies the results of reviews of literature, patents, and current practices relevant to the business; uses results to determine strategic technical direction
Level of Interpersonal Skills:
- Leads multiple technical teams
- Directs the work of team members on the project
- May coordinate outside resources for projects
- Mentors less experienced engineers
- Presents results of projects both internally and externally.
- Participates in project planning, process update; contributes to experimental design.
Develops productive collaborations and communication with other groups, across scientific disciplines, and with scientists outside of Abbott. Uses an external information network to gain competitive intelligence
- Develops and maintains internal and external customer contacts as required to accomplish job objectives.
ACCOUNTABILITY / SCOPE:
- May supervise interns and/or EPDP engineers
- May act as lead engineer, project leader, or project contributor. Provides technical direction and feedback to others.
Level of Accountability:
Responsible for Redbook (or equivalent) documentation and for the accuracy, quality, and timeliness of experimental results. Summarizes data and analyzes results; formulates conclusions and determines future experiments. Actively participates in routine maintenance, lab safety, ISO 9000, GMP, GRP implementation as appropriate, assumes roles of responsibility, such as training or document control.
- May supervise one direct report in EPDP or intern program engineers
- Determines technical objectives of assignments
- Reviews technical work to determine if desired results and objective have been achieved
- Responsible for timely project completion. Designs experiments and documentation independently.
BS in Chemical Engineering or related field with 8-10 years of experience
MS in Chemical Engineering or related field with 6 - 8 years of experience
PhD: in Chemical Engineering or related field with 2-5 years of experience
Candidates must be very familiar with the lab enviroment and in production support.
Significant Work Activities and Conditions
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods ( more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day), Keyboard use (greater or equal to 50% of the workday)
RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
AbbVie - 20 months ago