The Production Machine Operator Lead acts as a liaison between supervisor and general machinists. Assigns jobs and machines to operators, monitors technique, quality and quantity of production, troubleshoots and assists operators with machining problems.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Other duties may be assigned. Reasonable accommodation for disabilities may be made for one or more of the following:
Ways of working, Experience, and Behaviors
- Acts as a liaison between supervisor, maintenance, production control and machinists with daily responsibilities.
- Assigns jobs and machines to operators, monitors technique, quality and quantity of production, troubleshoots and assists operators with machining problems.
- Assigns and schedules work to operators and machinists.
- Assists supervisor in monitoring tooling, material, quality and production.
- Troubleshoots machining problems and determines action to be taken.
- Proficiency with performing and coaching operators in machine set ups and interpretation of instructions/blueprints/specifications, monitoring tooling, materials, quality concerns and production.
- Selects and obtains proper materials and tooling for the job.
- Checks tooling and reworks as needed to manufacture part to print specification.
- Ensures machinist correctly demonstrates and understands the verification of following the dimensions of parts while running the job using measuring instruments such as micrometers, comparators, calipers, and gauges, inspects completed parts to ensure they meet blueprints/specifications.
- Recognizes improper machine functioning and makes necessary adjustments to spindle chains, clutches and cross slides as needed. Perform minor repairs, and determines correction action to be taken to management &/or maintenance for improved quality and tooling life.
- Relies on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job.
- Demonstrated technical knowledge and experience in reading and interpreting blueprints, job order for product specifications such as dimensions/ tolerances and use shop and measuring tools.
- Represents Factory/Department manufacturing on cross-functional teams, safety community or in-house committees.
- Provide daily direction, training and assessment for peer assigned to for development. Documents required assessment that includes a summary of the curricular, skill level achieved, further development recommendation and / or competencies not achieved during the development period
- Assist supervisor in the development of lesser skilled operators to improve production efficiencies.
- Reports any safety violation, machining equipment misusage and/or improperly performed work to supervisor, may provide input for action including discipline and firing.
- Proceeds with completion of job, observing machine frequently to verify correct operation and ensure that the hopper is properly loaded.
- Demonstrated ability to perform Statistical Process Control (SPC) checks per specification, Master cam (CAM software) and acts in accordance with output and demonstrates knowledge and use of Shop Floor Systems.
- Familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within a particular field.
- Verifies proper placement or replacement of all safety guards, safety materials, use of PPE’s by employees and adheres to all safety procedures.
- Works under limited supervision with a wide degree of creativity and latitude is required.
- All employees are responsible for complying with the rules and regulations set forth by Federal, Local, and State government, LISI Aerospace, and HSE Procedures.
- All employees are responsible for attending all training provided and for adhering to all HSE procedures, policies, and plans, conforming to reporting requirements, and safe operating procedures at all times.
- All employees are required to bring any known or suspected nonconformance for all company procedures or legal requirements to management’s attention immediately.
- Continually seek opportunities to improve our HSE performance by establishing objectives and targets, measuring progress, and reporting our results.
- Implements and suggests waste elimination initiatives specifically related to the function and department such as recycling opportunities to elimination of production and waste
- Performs a variety of other tasks and duties.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses experience to complement data; understands the work flows and procedures.
- Technical Skills – Technical skills in manufacturing processes and methods including flow, layout, assembly and production equipment. Wide variety of tools and precision measuring instruments with an advanced level of skills. Proven knowledge with production set-ups and layouts utilizing industry drafting standards.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens intently to others and seeks clarification; Provides clear and pleasant responses to inquires regardless of the situation; Presents complex concepts in a simple manner to achieve understanding of benefit plans at all levels of the organization. Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Team Work - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Places success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed; Recognizes accomplishments of team members.
- Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Aligns work with strategic goals.
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Contributes to profits and revenue; Conserves organizational resources.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events. Comprehend and apply safety standards to machine rebuilding.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities of self and others; Uses time efficiently; Plans for resources in a creative way only adding cost as absolutely necessary; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
May assist in the technical coaching of trainees &/or operators.
ESSENTIAL JOB REQUIREMENTS SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Education and/or Experience
- High School Diploma or GED
- Minimum 1-2 year certificate from college or technical school, preferred
- Prefer combination of Journey-level & lead experience in fastener manufacturing environment
- Advance knowledge of all types of automatic machinery and procedures
- Advance technical knowledge with quality and SPC.
- A minimum of over 5 year’s equivalent combination of technical education and experience.
Ability to read and comprehend correspondence and basic technical procedures. Ability to write basic reports and instructions to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to apply basic mathematical concepts and calculations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, ratios and standard units of measurements.
Ability to define problems collects data, establish facts and follow instructions in written and basic diagram formats. Ability to perform and apply different problem solving techniques, handle internal/external situations and multi-task functions.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word; SPC, and departmental applications (Shop Floor System).
Certificates, licenses, registrations
PHYSICAL DEMANDS, WORK ENVIRONMENT, HEALTH AND SAFETY
- Evidence of “US person” is required under ITAR
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand for extended periods of time and walk; requires eye-hand coordination, use hands hand movement and manual dexterity use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, listen and speak. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up bend, reach to shoulder level and lift, carrying, pushing and/or pulling to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include: close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less), distance vision (clear vision at 20 feet or more), color vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors), peripheral vision (ability to observe an area that can be seen up and down or to the left and right while eyes are fixed on a given point), and ability to adjust focus (ability to adjust the eye to bring an object into sharp focus). Specific hearing levels within normal/average range.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Safety and Environmental
The responsibilities of the position include compliance with company and governmental safety, environmental and hazardous materials regulations and procedures. Employee will be required to wear personal safety equipment such as safety glasses, hearing protection, or proper footwear PPE in specified areas.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.