The National Guard is the oldest component of the Armed Forces of the United States. Since the earliest American colonial days, citizens have joined together for collective defense. We have a proud tradition of coming to the aid of our friends and neighbors in times of serious emergencies. Join our National Guard team and serve your nation, California and your community!
The California National Guard is an Equal Opportunity Employer
NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED: This is an excepted position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the California National Guard. Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform. Acceptance of an excepted position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Upon acceptance of a military technician position military members who are currently receiving a military Reenlistment/Extension Bonus (REB) or GI Bill-SR Kicker may lose incentive eligibility and may be subject to termination or suspension of incentive (includes indefinite and temporary technicians on assignment for more than 180 days in any continuous 12-month period).
AREA OF CONSIDERATION: ALL SOURCES) Current military members of the US Armed Forces
(Applicants who are NOT currently a member of the California National Guard (CNG) must become a member of a compatible unit of assignment within the CNG commensurate with the military grade listed in this announcement prior to federal assignment) .
Military grade of O-3 through O-5
Recruitment/Relocation Incentive IS NOT
Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) is NOT
authorized, based on determination that PCS move is not in the Government
Requires Travel: Frequent, More than 5 days per month
Security Clearance Required: SECRET
Compatible Military Assignments: 46A; 46X
DESIRABLE: Degree in Communication, Journalism, or English
Experience as a spokesperson for on-camera, radio, and print interviews DUTIES:
THIS IS A PERMANENT POSITION
This position is located in the Joint Force Headquarters of the California National Guard. As the state's Public Affairs Officer (PAO), the incumbent is responsible for all Army and Air National Guard public, community, and media relations within the state and for providing supervision and direction to the staff of the Joint force Headquarters, Public Affairs Office, as well as field and unit public affairs specialists and Mobile Public Affairs Detachments (MPADs) personnel covering the region. Responsible for planning, budgeting, designing, and executing public, both general and specialized. the JFHQ-State PAO plans, directs, and executes command/internal information, media and community relations campaigns to convey sensitive and complex information concerning the National Guard's state and federal programs, responsibilities, and activities. Serves as the official spokesperson for the Adjutant General on controversial and complex issues before the representatives of the print and broadcast media and national organizations. The JFHQ-State PAO plans, develops, and conducts press conferences and public meetings with full participation of National Guard subject matter experts to promote and enhance understanding and acceptance of the National Guard's mission and facilitate the communication of complex information on new programs or special areas of emphasis. QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
GENERAL: Experience in administrative, professional, investigative, technical, or
other responsible work that demonstrates the applicant's skill in written and
oral communication, analytical ability, and ability to deal effectively with
Public Affairs Specialist GS-1035-13: Must have 36 months of experience involving the writing of new materials to motivate others to follow or accept a certain course or concept; experience in that involved instructing others to understand information in a formal or structured setting such as classroom teaching, conducting training courses, or community
organizing activities; experience that involved performing consulting duties to a program function where the applicant demonstrates to others the benefits of services provided, such as management analysis, etc.; and experience in any
position that required skill in drawing conclusions form complex information, determining the sources of information, gathering, evaluating and interpreting data to arrive at conclusions.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES: The following knowledge, skills, and abilities will be used by the selecting officials to determine the best qualified applicants from which selection will be made:
a. Skill in developing written materials to present concepts, ideas or positions in a clear and logical manner to achieve an understanding by all types of audiences.
b. Skill in explaining points of view in a structured setting, including giving impromptu presentations, and ability to adapt the presentation to control unexpected reactions.
c. Skill in drawing appropriate conclusions from conflicting data to include determining the kinds of information needed and developing and specific ways of gathering and evaluating data for presenting conclusions and/or recommendations.
d. Skill in dealing with people having different interests and positions, to include establishing and maintaining effective work relationships with others representing opposing points of view and ability to achieve understanding o the position through print and broadcast media.
Substitution of Education for Specialized Experience - A maximum of 12 months of the required experience may be substituted by successful completion of undergraduate study in an accredited college or university at the rate of 30 semester hours for 12 months of experience. The education must have been in fields directly related to Public
Affairs (i.e. public relations, journalism, information processing science,
communications, english composition or other course where primary emphasis is
on communications and wRiting skills).
COPIES OF TRANSCRIPTS ARE REQUIRED FOR EDUCATION TO BE CREDITABLE
Conditions of Employment:
- CREDITING EXPERIENCE: NATIONAL GUARD SERVICE MAY BE CREDITED AS FULL-TIME EXPERIENCE WHEN EVALUATED AGAINST THE QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS FOR A MILITARY TECHNICIAN POSITION. EXPERIENCE MUST BE DIRECTLY RELATED TO THE POSITION AND MUST BE DESCRIBED IN THE WORK EXPERIENCE SECTION OF THE APPLICATION AND/OR résumé . THE LEVEL OF EXPERIENCE IS DETERMINED BY THE ACTUAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES PERFORMED. BE DESCRIPTIVE, A SIMPLE LIST OF JOB TITLES AND DATES WILL NOT SUFFICE.
Must maintain appropriate level of security clearance.
Must wear appropriate military uniform including required grooming standards.
Must maintain a compatible military unit, grade and job assignment as required by current directives.
Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the job requirements. To determine if you are qualified for this job, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the occupational questionnaire. The rating you receive is based on your responses to the questionnaire and supporting documents.
If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience your score can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.
The Federal government offers a number of exceptional benefits to its employees. The following Web addresses are provided for your reference to explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees.
F lexible Spending Accounts - https://www.fsafeds.com/fsafeds/index.asp
Health Insurance - http://www.opm.gov/insure/health/index.asp
Leave - Most Federal employees earn both annual and sick leave. : http://www.opm.gov/oca/leave/index.asp
Life Insurance - http://www.opm.gov/insure/life/index.asp
Long Term Care Insurance - : http://www.ltcfeds.com/
Retirement Program - http://www.opm.gov/retire/index.asp
This link provides and overview of the benefits currently offered to Federal employees. http://www.usajobs.gov/EI/benefits.asp
1. If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/59 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency.
2. Please do not send/fax/courier/email any applications or resumes to the California National Guard Human Resources Office, you must apply on-line or fax your application to the fax number 1-478-757-3144 listed on this announcement with the prescribed cover letter. The Human Resource Office can only process materials received through USA Jobs.
3. NOTE TO ALL APPLICANTS: A STANDING REGISTER WILL BE CREATED FROM THE LISTING OF QUALIFIED APPLICANTS FOR THIS/THESE POSITION(S). APPLICANTS MAY BE CONSIDERED FOR POSITIONS IN THE SPECIALTY AREA AT THE SPECIFIED LOCATIONS FOR UP TO 60 DAYS FROM THE CLOSE OF THIS VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT.
4. Social Security Number: Your Social Security Number is requested under the authority of Executive Order 9397 to uniquely identify your records from those of other applicants who may have the same name. As allowed by law or Presidential directive, your Social Security Number is used to seek information about you from employers, schools, banks, and others who may know you. Failure to provide your Social Security number on your application materials will result in your application not being processed.
5. PRIVACY ACT- Privacy Act Notice (PL 93-579): The information requested here is used to determine qualification for employment and is authorized under Title 5 U.S.C. 3302 and 3361.
6. False Statements - If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or you may be subject to fine, imprisonment, or other disciplinary action.
The Army is a key component of the U.S. Armed Forces, providing expeditionary land forces wherever and whenever they are required. Working...