THIS WILL REMAIN POSTED UNTIL POSITIONS ARE FILLED; RESUMES WILL BE REVIEWED AS THEY ARE RECEIVED.
The Arizona Corporation Commission ("Commission") is seeking to hire several accountant/financial professionals, telecommunications professionals and/or energy professionals as Public Utilities Analysts ("PUA") I through V. Offers will be made dependent upon skills and experience. These positions are located in the Financial & Regulatory Analysis ("FRA") Section and Telecommunications & Energy ("T&E") Section of the Commission's Utilities Division. These positions are responsible for providing well-researched authoritative advice and recommendations to the Chief of FRA or T&E, the Utilities Division Director, and ultimately the Commission on issues associated with the examination, audit and regulatory appraisal of utility companies that provide public water, wastewater, electric, gas and telecommunications services.
Public Utilities Analysts are responsible for:
- Performing evaluations, audits and/or investigations of water, wastewater, energy and telecommunication entities,
- Developing creative solutions to controversial regulatory, accounting and auditing problems,
- Providing expert testimony supporting the Utilities Division's findings and recommendations,
- Clearly and concisely explaining and supporting the Utilities Division's findings and recommendations, both verbally and in writing, to non-technical persons,
- Properly prioritizing assigned projects in a manner that will allow those projects to be adequately and thoroughly investigated/analyzed, while still meeting required timelines,
- Working in a team environment with most cases having an assigned Engineer, Consumer Services Specialist, and Attorney and Accounting/Financial subject matter expert, with the PUA many times being the lead team member,
- Reviewing tariff filings by the utility companies to assure compliance with Commission rules, regulations and decisions,
- Evaluating utility companies' claims, determining the adequacy and reliability of submitted data, and determining the need for and nature of additional data required to complete analyses, and/or
- Conducting regulatory research and report research findings.
These positions will appeal to candidates looking for exposure to a broad range of utility accounting, auditing, ratemaking, financing and regulatory issues; who enjoy working with a team; and who seek the satisfaction of providing an essential public service. This is a rewarding career for well qualified candidates seeking a position where they are expected to think, analyze, reason and then make and support their recommendations; recommendations that are critical to the Commission's Constitutional authority/mandate to assure that rate payers are adequately protected and that utilities are granted fair, just and reasonable rates in order to provide safe and reliable service. Analysts can expect to find assignments challenging and satisfying.
Ideal candidates should a well-rounded basic understanding of the operations of utilities and have had experience with one or more of the following:
* Rate design
* Energy efficiency
* Renewable energy
* Water conservation
* Competitive telecommunications
* Resource planning
Preference will be given to applicants with a Bachelor's degree or higher in accounting, economics, statistics, business, or a related field. To be considered for more senior positions, candidates will have significant experience working in the utilities industry, for a utility, or for a public service commission regulating utilities.
The State of Arizona provides an excellent comprehensive benefits package, including a top-ranked retirement plan, low-cost health coverage, supplemental policies such as vision and short-term disability, and generous leave programs. Our work environment offers multiple training opportunities and encourages career development. To submit your resume for consideration, please hit the "APPLY" button below.
AGENCY JOB BOARD ID: ACC
State of Arizona - 23 months ago