The Primary Years Program Dean (PYP Dean) serves as the number two instructional leader for a school. The PYP Dean supports teachers through frequent observations and actionable coaching sessions, reviews lesson and unit plans, and helps to interpret student achievement data and support its use to create intervention and enrichment plans.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Help Campus Director develop and execute on instructional professional development programs for staff
- Coordinate IB program for school
- Oversee application process for school, and once approved, monitor school’s IB compliance
- Coordinate with IB support staff at CMO
- Train school staff on IB program, unit planning, and assessment writing
- Ensure academic programs used at school align with IB standards
- Work with Teaching and Learning Team and school staff to develop and implement excellent academic programs in school
- Offer input during creation of curriculum materials menu for network, and recommend to Director which materials from menu should be selected for school
- Based on Director’s decision, support teacher’s use of proper materials
- Give input during creation of common assessments and help administer and use these exams to guide teacher planning
- Assist in developing network scheduling minimums, and use minimums to recommend to Director a complete school schedule
- Based on Director’s decision, put into operation school’s new schedule
- Help set scope and sequence minimums for network, and work with school staff to recommend to Director a complete school scope and sequence
- Based on Director’s decision, support teacher’s use of correct scope and sequence
- Recommend to Director which student academic intervention programs school should use, and help oversee programs selected
- Recommend to Director if any additional school-specific assessments should be used, and help administer use of any additional assessments
- Assist with staff recruitment, development, and termination
- Provide input on which candidates should be hired to fill Dean and Director positions at school
- Provide input during teacher termination process
This position does not supervise staff.
To perform the job successfully, competitive applicants should demonstrate the following
- Demonstrated past achievement in student instruction
- Perseverance in the face of challenges and adaptability
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Ability to influence and motivate others in adopting preferred instructional approaches
- Strong organizational abilities and ability to meet deadlines and to share these skill sets with others
- Desire to work relentlessly in pursuit of our mission
- High expectations for students and families in low-income communities
- Understanding and knowledge of curriculum, instruction and assessment.
- Working knowledge of content and methodology across grade levels, particularly 5-10, within content area.
- Capable of instructing, motivating, modeling and coaching teachers.
- Exceptional organizational, communication and interpersonal skills.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree (B. A./ B.S.) from four-year college or university required. Master’s degree preferred but not required. Experience with curriculum writing and inquiry based instruction International Baccalaureate experience a plus.
Satisfactory criminal records check, pre-hire and annually thereafter, if applicable. Must be eligible to work in the United States and provide work authorization.
Ability to read, analyze, and apply common sense understanding and to carry out instructions in written or oral form. Ability to set priorities. Ability to communicate with all levels of personnel, students, and parents.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference.
Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should be competent in Microsoft Office applications and ability to learn and use computer software as necessary. Ability to use basic office equipment.
SAFETY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Every employee of the School has an obligation to know our safety rules and procedures; to teach what they know to others; to recognize unsafe actions and situations; to warn others of unsafe situations; to react to emergency situations and to report hazardous or unsafe practices to those in a position to correct them.
PHYSICAL / MENTAL DEMANDS
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to sit and use the wrists, hands and/or fingers. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Work at a desk and computer screen for extended periods of time.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level is low to high and may have frequent interruptions. There may be activity from other employees and students of a distracting nature.
This job description has been reviewed with me and I fully understand the requirements. I am able to perform the essential functions of this job.