Facilitates all aspects of packaging and containerization throughout all BTD locations. Reviews the packaging of products in accordance with plan laid out by process engineer and sales and makes recommendations or improvements as required. Ensures the agreed upon plan is achieved. Implements packaging practices which ensure part quality, processing efficiency and effective warehouse/logistics utilization. Analyzes the current packaging methods in order to implement improvements that positively impact current product quality, safety, cost of manufacturing, and storage. Communicates all improvements made to ensure future estimates and packaging plans of current product are accurate.
Safety is #1 at BTD: Our expectation is that every employee: 1) Strictly follows safety policies, rules and safe work methods. 2) Promptly corrects or reports safety hazards or unsafe conditions. Promptly reports injuries for prompt diagnosis and treatment. 3) Makes regular suggestions for safety process improvements to support continuous improvement in safety.
1. Ensures all packaging of product, both incoming and outgoing, is compliant with BTD safety standards along with the safety standards of all customers.
2. Responsible for developing, implementing, and maintaining packaging practices.
3. Assists in the writing of setup and operator instructions to ensure packaging practices are clearly defined.
4. Ensures packaging is available for planned first run and provides oversight on the shop floor during the first run process.
5. Assists the shop floor with day-to-day manufacturing issues pertaining to packaging.
6. Leads or participates in root cause identification and corrective actions to resolve issues involving noncompliant or unsafe packaging of product or material.
7. Implements packaging plans and practices which focus on effective utilization of space and equipment throughout all areas of the manufacturing process, product storage and shipment, while also focusing on the effective utilization of the warehouse, transport vessel, and production floor space of our customers.
8. Assists operations and warehouse to determine when it is beneficial to final package product on the production floor, versus bulk package during production and final package in the warehouse prior to ship.
9. Analyzes and calculates payback and recommends equipment for the packaging and effective containerization of product.
10. Complies with BTD’s management system and processes.
11. Works with: Sales, Purchasing, Operations, Warehouse and Logistics to optimize product flow to both internal and external customers.
12. Performs other work-related duties as requested.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Graduation from high school or equivalent and two or four year technical college or university with degree or certificate in a technical field with a minimum two (2) years directly related experience; six (6) years directly related experience may substitute for advanced degree. Must possess a valid Driver’s License.
Experience and Skills Required: At least two years of recent Packaging experience (directly related to the essential functions listed above) in the metal manufacturing industry. Experience in a similar industry with similar processes may substitute, which include the following skills and abilities:
1. Ability to effectively communicate with computer, phone, drawings, speaking and written skills.
2. Strong working knowledge of the equipment, materials, methods and practices used to manufacture, package and distribute BTD product.
3. Ability to read, interpret and understand the use of production blueprints and specifications.
4. Ability to apply Lean concepts and principles to solve problems and improve processes.
5. Ability to convert manufacturing processing plans into action; provide implementation of planned processing.
6. Can provide, communicate and implement ideas that improve safety, quality, delivery and cost in part processing.
7. Ability to adhere to BTD’s employee safety manual.
8. Ability to establish, encourage and maintain effective working relationships with others.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of the job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of the job, the employee may be exposed to weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
BTD - 23 months ago