Under the supervision of the Global Packaging Engineering Sr. Manager, the Packaging Engineer II position provides technical support to several key Global areas: Package Development, Sourcing, Procurement, Operations, Contract Manufacturing, Marketing, Planning and Design/Creative Services. The position works independently to design, develop and test packages and packaging materials as well as support production/ manufacturing in the resolution of packaging issues including implementation of new products into production. Additionally, this position reviews, investigates and resolves current packaging materials for cost reduction and performance efficiencies.
This position maintains the development of structural and protective packaging components for Primary, Secondary and Tertiary packaging; and bulk packaging as specified by the Bills of Materials by investigating, specifying, costing and testing the all of the components particularly in each of the Global regions. The Global Packaging Engineering Sr. Manager looks to this position for support on packaging timelines to develop the Classic and Seasonal packaging components and advises the technical standard for delivering quality-packaging components.
- Lead development (Paper, board, pads, corrugated, plastic trays) and generate specifications of packaging components with Global Marketing, Design, Operations, Contract Manufacturing and Contract Packaging, and Suppliers
- Support production/manufacturing in the resolution of packaging issues and implementation of new products into production; investigate and propose cost reduction initiatives
- Develop, design, specify and test primary, secondary, bulk, and pallet/display packaging for distribution/handling for all Global Regions, stability/compatibility tests to meet ISTA, ASTM and internal Global standards to ensure maximum product quality at minimum costs while meeting internal stakeholder criteria (Sales, Marketing, Distribution, Warehousing
- Conduct Packaging Line Trial tests for all new packaging components and new product development; develop and execute test plans, apply statistics and data management to produce quality reports
- Generate packaging component specifications for all packaging components; and provide packing methods (assembly instructions) for Finished Goods Specifications; provide dimensional and weight requirements on unit, case and pallet loads
- Support and maintain Global Quality Specification initiatives
- Analyze various packaging designs and associated suppliers to eliminate inefficiencies, reduce manufacturing costs for each multiple programs.
- Initiate, review and approve Rigid Box, Folding Carton and Corrugated box whites; review and approve subsequent die lines and proofs to ensure accuracy and key physical attributes (varnish knockouts, glue assists, turn lengths, tuck interferences, etc.) to meet operational and consumer needs.
Education & Experience
Minimum education required: BS Packaging Engineering, Masters preferred; or related Technical Discipline
Experience: 3-5 years
Knowledge, skills and abilities required:
Sound organizational and time management skills with the ability to effectively prioritize and manage multiple priorities
- Specifies and designs product packaging to ensure product integrity and appeal under varying shipping and display conditions understands correlation between material performance specifications and final package performance
- Tests, analyzes, and selects materials for packaging based on durability and cost effectiveness.
- Thorough knowledge of packaging, product, and bills of materials to successfully produce packaging specifications for Quoting
- Fundamental knowledge of printing processes and color management
- Ability to problem solve and implement solutions with management support
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Understands situations requiring escalation or need to seek out assistance
- Knowledge of food packaging material science
- Practical knowledge of packaging converting technology
- Proficient knowledge of distribution methods
- Functional participant in project teams; capable of working with a large cross section of plant management
- Fundamental knowledge of profit and loss factors
- Functional knowledge of packaging operations
- Capable of identifying problems and seeking appropriate resources for solution
- Strong written/verbal skills
- Can effectively communicate with internal and external resources
- Proficient in PC applications including Word, Excel and Lotus Notes; desire and capacity to learn other software as required
- High level of analytical ability
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- High level of interpersonal skills
- Blueprint/Technical drawing understanding
- Must be CAD literate- competent user of AutoCAD or equivalent and of TOPS or equivalent palletization software.
ORS Partners - 14 months ago