Accelerated Rehabilitation Centers is now hiring a full time Paralegal, to be based out of our corporate office in Chicago. This position reports to our General Counsel. Start date January 2014.
The paralegal will be responsible for assisting the General Counsel in the administration and coordination of the legal, contract and regulatory compliance, and risk management activities of the company. Additionally, the paralegal will research law, investigate facts, and prepare and maintain legal documents such as contracts, corporate governance, initial and amended articles of formation, and other legal agreements for review, approval, and use by the General Counsel. Additional responsibilities will include preparing and maintaining a filing system to ensure proper indexing and filing of original legal documents and to record and docket key contract dates.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage leases, supplier and other contracts, including renewal options, amendments and expirations.
- Maintain contract, corporate governance, intellectual property, licensing and other regulatory compliance files, including organizing and indexing each file and developing and updating contract tracking spreadsheets or databases.
- Prepare and maintain Accelerated Rehabilitation Centers/Accelerated Health Systems and their subsidiaries’ (ARC) minute books.
- Assist in the updating and modifying of ARC corporate, governing and employee benefit plan documents.
- Manage and track ARC trademark portfolio.
- Coordinate contract compliance of ARC and the suppliers, vendors and others.
- Prepare and maintain corporate privacy, information security, conflict of interest and other regulatory compliance policies in coordination with various departments.
- Assist in the management of compliance by ARC, suppliers, vendors and others with contractual provisions.
- Assist in the coordination of compliance oversight of affiliate usage of trademarks and other licensed matters.
- Maintain insurance binders and assist in periodic insurance needs assessments.
- Assist with the management of litigation, interactions with regulatory and legislative authorities, and outside counsel, including coordinating document production and preparing correspondence.
- Perform legal and other research as needed.
- Assist in the preparation and administration of the budget for all legal expenditures and activities.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
This position requires a Bachelors Degree and minimum of five years relevant experience in a majority of the areas (paralegal certificate is desired but not required). It also requires:
- Excellent skills in analytical thinking, specifically, ability to identify and define problems, collect data, establish facts and develop substantiated conclusions.
- Ability to manage multiple projects that require interaction with a variety of departments and types of information.
- Attention to detail and accuracy critical.
- Ability to work effectively under multiple time deadlines.
- Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner and analyze information skillfully with minimal supervision.
- Focus on solving conflict, not blaming; and maintaining confidentiality in all matters.
- Ability to express facts and ideas clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint) and online research (required), and Westlaw research (preferred).
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills; listens and gets clarification.
- Responds well to questions.
- Knowledge of the principles, methods, materials and practices of general research (required) and legal research (preferred).
- Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Asks for and offers help when needed.
COMPLEXITY OF TYPICAL WORK MANAGED
Assist General Counsel in the administration and coordination of the contract, policy and regulatory compliance obligations of the corporation. Assist in the development of policies, suggest alternative solutions to problems and either solely or with others implement or coordinate the implementation of the solution determined by the company’s General Counsel or executive management. Problems often cross disciplinary lines and require interaction with a variety of departments and individuals inside and outside the company. The work requires continuing efforts to assist in the resolution of unpredictable problems and emerging issues. Activities can be expected to change on a daily basis. Prioritizing and adapting are key traits.
Performs job responsibilities in a manner that coincides with the goals and objectives of ARC.
Adheres to the established organizational policies and procedures of ARC, including the Corporate Compliance Program and its Code of Conduct and HIPAA regulations. This includes acceptance of the responsibility to report to the appropriate person(s) any suspected unethical, incompetent, or illegal activities or conduct.
Maintains professionalism and a positive attitude in the workplace, including teamwork and co-worker relations.
Exhibits flexibility when necessary and as requested to meet organization needs.
Completes and submits all reports, documents, timesheets, and requests for information as per processing procedures and deadline requirements.
Demonstrated ability to interact with healthcare team, coworkers, supervisors, and all members of the Senior Management Team
Must possess effective written and verbal communication skills.
Must be skilled in planning/organization, follow up/control, delegation, problem solving, self-development orientation, organizational behaviors/competencies, and stress tolerance.
Must possess the ability to exhibit professionalism, teamwork and a positive attitude in the workplace.
OTHER POSITION CONSIDERATIONS
Some travel is required. The incumbent may be requested to attend off site meetings with external contacts, state conventions and/or annual meetings and to interact with ARC members, ARC leaders and staff as well as ARC affiliates that are currently located throughout the Midwest and, during the term of employment, may expand across the country.
Accelerated Rehabilitation Centers is a physical therapist owned and operated rehabilitation company. With a network of over 250+ outpatient...