Assists attorneys in handling both litigated and non-litigated legal matters by conducting research, reviewing, analyzing, summarizing, and managing electronic and paper documents, operating legal software, creating databases, and communicating with clients, witnesses, records custodians, counsel, and others involved in legal matters.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Manages legal files and records for discovery, investigation and processing including the monitoring and management of discovery and other deadlines. Follows up on investigation requests. Prepares pleadings, motions and other documents as necessary and assures organization of files.
2. Analyzes discovery, investigative and other documents preparing summaries of same as requested.
3. Works with attorneys (internal and external) and gathers information from clients and others.
4. Drafts and prepares correspondence and other written documents as required.
5. Gathers and organizes exhibits, documents, trial data and other materials in response to management requests, subpoenas, discovery requests, interrogatories, motions for summary judgment etc.; arranges for extensions of time as needed. Prepares records for expert review.
6. Monitors files and escalates issues requiring attorney involvement.
7. Performs legal research.
8. Keeps current with procedures used by local, state and federal courts.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Manager or above.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
1. In-depth knowledge and application of legal research tools and processes, as well as overall general knowledge of the insurance industry and business.
2. Excellent internal/external customer interactive skills.
3. Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office suite and other business related software systems.
4. Excellent organizational skills including ability to prioritize and coordinate multiple tasks.
5. Ability to work with and maintain confidential information.
6. Excellent written and verbal communication skills including professional phone etiquette.
Education & Experience
1. Bachelor's degree, and/or completion of an accredited paralegal program, or equivalent.
2. Minimum of three years prior litigation experience with insurance defense background preferred.