Graduation high school diploma or equivalent and a certificate of completion from an ABA -approved program of education and training for paralegals; or |
An Associate’s degree in paralegal studies administered by any college or university accredited or approved by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board or its equivalent in another state.
A Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board-approved Bachelor’s degree program or post-baccalaureate certificate in paralegal studies will substitute for the Associate’s degree.
Licenses or Certifications:
See Minimum Qualifications section above
Notes to Applicants
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Job Close Date
Departments may close a posting at their discretion
Open Until Filled
Type of Posting
Grant Funded or Pooled Position
301 West 2nd Street, Austin, Texas 78701
The candidate selected for this position will be assigned to work with the Law Department’s Ethics and Compliance Team. This team reports directly to the City Attorney and assists legal staff with legal advice to executive management employees and elected officials.
Experience working and interacting with senior officials in a large organization
Experience developing, implementing, and presenting training modules or curriculum
Experience implementing and monitoring compliance functions of a large organization
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
1. Maintains client, section and case files. May serve as point-of-contact on cases.
2. Performs pretrial preparations such as trial notebook, arranging exhibit preparation, subpoenas, scheduling videographer and coordinating travel arrangements.
3. Drafts documents such as pleadings, discovery, contracts, correspondence, real estate, legal opinions, ordinances, resolutions, requests for action, open record responses, etc.
4. Locates, interviews fact and expert witnesses.
5. Investigates facts in a thorough manner. Gathers documentation to support facts utilizing public and law libraries, tax records, real estate records and other sources. Gathers evidence from a variety of sources in support of case.
6. Performs Docket Call announcements.
7. Summarizes records and reports such as depositions, employment or medical records.
8. Assists attorneys at depositions, trial, court and administrative hearings, coordinates witnesses, critical document and perform general duties as assigned.
9. Maintains case list including basic facts of case and internal resources assigned.
10. Performs legal research. Coordinates and schedules court appearances, trials, depositions and meetings.
Responsibilities - Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Knowledge of research practices and techniques.
Knowledge of court proceedings.
Knowledge of city practice, policy and procedures
Skill in oral and written communication.
Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
Skill in using computers and related software.
Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
Skill in planning and organizing.
Ability to draft legal documents.
Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other city employees and the public.
Ability to exercise discretion in confidential matters
Does this job require a criminal background investigation?
This position does not require a criminal background investigation
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
City of Austin - 18 months ago