Mississippi Center for Justice seeks to fill an immediate job opening for a paralegal. The position will be located in the Center's Jackson office.
About the Center:
Mississippi Center for Justice is a successful and rapidly growing nonprofit, public interest law firm committed to advancing racial and economic justice. The Center's lawyers and other professionals work with community leaders to support their social justice campaigns and to channel the energies of the legal community to combat discrimination and poverty. With offices in Jackson, Biloxi and Indianola, the Center seeks systemic solutions that promote educational opportunity, protect the rights of consumers, secure access to healthcare, promote equity in disaster recovery and put affordable housing within the reach of all Mississippians.
DESCRIPTION OF JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Center's legal assistant will work with other support personnel and staff attorneys to provide direct legal assistance to homeowners facing foreclosure. He/She will help design and implement administrative systems to manage clients' legal needs from point of intake to file closure. Working as part of a team, the legal assistant will conduct client interviews, provide information about appropriate services and programs, make client referrals as needed and assist with collecting, tracking and preservation of case documents. Excellent interpersonal communications skills with individuals from all walks of life are highly desired. We seek a legal assistant who has a passion for social justice combined with strong organizational skills.
KEY QUALIFICATIONS :
- Ability to facilitate case coordination and information-sharing between the Center and volunteer attorneys, community partners, and law students
- Ability to systemically maintain, track, and preserve case documents and records
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university preferred. Will accept Associate Degree and/or related experience.
- Excellent computer and organizational skills with strong attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in collaboration with other organizations
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Perform related duties as assigned
idealist.org - 6 months ago