POSTING TYPE: External
DEPARTMENT: Parks and Open Spaces
HOURS: TEMPORARY Full-time
One position available; will not exceed 6 months.
HIRING RANGE: $15.66/hour (B21 DBM Level)
LOCATION: Various throughout Dakota County
CLOSE DATE: Open until filled.
This is an entry level position responsible for cleaning and maintaining Park buildings, grounds, and facilities with an emphasis on natural resources. Responsible for safe operation of vehicles and light equipment to perform routine maintenance functions.
This position will be required to work holidays and weekends as assigned.
· High school diploma or equivalent, AND
· Minimum of 2 (two) years' work experience in one or more of the following fields; natural resources, landscaping, grounds or building maintenance.
· An equivalent combination of education and experience.
PREFERRED EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE BEYOND MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
· Natural Resources background is preferred.
· Additional education or experience in construction, vehicle/equipment maintenance and operation, supervision or other closely related fields is also desirable.
· Must possess a valid driver's license.
· Candidates must furnish documented proof (transcripts, certificates, diplomas, etc.) of post high school education.
· Ability to obtain a Class A Commercial driver's license within six months of employment.
Pursuant to Dakota County Policy and Procedures Manual Section 3240 (13), this position is designated as Safety Sensitive.
Duties & Responsibilities:
These examples do not include all possible tasks in this work and do not limit the assignment of related tasks in any position of this classification. Regular attendance according to the position's management approved work schedule is required for all positions.
1. Maintains buildings and structures performing work including general upkeep, miscellaneous repairs and routine custodial duties.
2. Maintains park grounds and facilities including work such as: cleaning, mowing, fertilizing, over seeding, aerating, and hauling trash.
3. Proficiently and safely operates equipment including tractors, mowers, dump truck, truck trailer combination, skid steer loader, brush chipper, stump grinder, auger, and trencher.
4. Performs routine daily maintenance on vehicles, light equipment and power tools.
5. Performs heavy manual labor.
6. May serve as a lead person over employees at the same job classification and/or temporary employees.
7. Assists with construction of buildings, grounds and facilities including improvement projects on trails, park roads, bridges, boardwalks, fences, utilities and structures.
8. Assists with landscape projects performing work that includes seeding, planting, grading, restoration, building retaining walls and steps.
9. Assists with identification, maintenance and disease control of trees by trimming, removing and transplanting.
10. Assists other departments with emergencies as assigned.
11. Perform other maintenance tasks as apparent, necessary or assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities and Work Environment:
· Knowledge of practices, functions and procedures of park maintenance and construction activities.
· Ability and skill to operate vehicles and equipment of the department in a safe efficient manner.
· Ability and skill to make routine repairs and maintenance to park structures, vehicles and equipment.
· Ability to perform heavy manual labor tasks requiring strength and coordination.
· Ability to obtain a Class A commercial driver's license within six months of employment.
· Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work is performed in County Parks and Parks facilities throughout Dakota County. Exposure to outdoor weather conditions including rain and snow and ice covered terrain. Operation of equipment, a variety of mechanical and power tools and Parks vehicles required. Exposure to various chemical hazards such as pesticides. Lifting and carrying requirement up to 34 pounds on an infrequent basis. Position may involve climbing, reaching, kneeling and working at heights above 6 (six) feet which requires the use of fall arrest equipment such as a full body harness, lanyards, etc.
SELECTION PROCESS: The examination/selection process for this classification will consist of a rating of your training and experience from the application materials submitted. The top scoring candidates will be forwarded to the hiring department for further consideration.
Dakota County Employee Relations
Main Number 651.438.4435 (contact 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday)
Dakota County - 11 months ago