The citizens of Astoria enjoy a wide array of parks, open spaces and diverse recreational programs. The community takes great pride in their parks system and expects a high standard of maintenance, quality programs, and excellent customer service. To promote a highly functional and responsive Department, the Director must proactively engage with the community; lead, motivate and inspire employees and volunteers; and listen and communicate effectively.
Beyond green space, the Department is responsible for key facilities and programs such as the Aquatic Center, recreation centers, cemetery, and day care center. These are, in effect, small business enterprises and must be managed as such - maximizing service to our citizens while maintaining economic viability. This requires a Director who is creative and entrepreneurial, with the talent to manage the budget and continually monitor, assess and adjust operations to ensure programming and revenue goals are achieved.
Like many communities across the nation, revenues at the City of Astoria are not keeping pace with expenses. To address maintenance requirements and meet service expectations, the Director must be deeply involved in Department operations; be skilled at allocating limited resources, setting priorities and measuring progress; have experience raising revenue through grants, community events and effective recreation programming; and cultivate community support and volunteerism.
Applicants for every open position are required to complete the City of Astoria's online application for employment, available at http://astoria.iapplicants.com. If you are unable to complete the application, you may contact the City's Human Resources Department by calling (503)325-5824 for a paper application.
Successful candidates should have:
Any equivalent combination of experience and training that demonstrates the skill and ability to perform required duties will be considered.
- A bachelor's degree in recreation, business administration or a related field
- At least 5 years of managerial experience in a significant capacity.
- Experience managing an aquatics facility.
Candidates for the Parks and Recreation Director position should demonstrate:
- Commitment to public service;
- Commitment to becoming a visible member of and participant in the community of Astoria;
- Ability to approach the role entrepreneurially with creative problem-solving skills;
- Ability to effectively lead and inspire employees;
- Strong budgeting and project management skills; and,
- Ability to collaborate effectively with other employees, other City departments, volunteers, civic/service organizations and community members.
Experience four-star luxury in the heart of Park City with a stay at the Waldorf Astoria! Our hotel offers premier accommodations for your...