The City of Eugene Public Works Department is currently accepting applications for:
Parks and Open Space Divison Manager
This position manages, directs, and coordiantes the activities of the Parks and Open Space Division that includes parks planning, wetlands and open waterways, open spaces, parks maintenance, and urban forestry programs.
Work Schedule : Monday-Friday, 8:00 – 5:00 pm
Availability to attend some night and weekend meetings is also required.
Recruitment Schedule: We are accepting applications thorugh February 15, 2013, 5pm. It is anticipated that screening will be completed with notification to candidates moving forward occurring in early March 2013 with interviews to be scheduled in late March 2013.
For additional information about the Parks and Open Space Division Manager position see our brochure .
To review the complete formal description of the position you may revew the Job classification .
Examples of Duties Performed - Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate for Division Manager will be able to manage, direct, and coordinate the activities of a bright and talented group of public works professionals with the following characteristics and abilities:
· Develop and maintain relationships with outside agencies, groups, and staff and provide leadership in supporting organizational and community goals to enhance service.
· Identify issues, analyze problems, and work collaboratively with staff and the community to resolution.
· Develop effective working relationships with other internal operating divisions and departments including recreation, facilities, and public works maintenance.
· Develop and direct the planning of long-range goals and objectives for the division and oversee program effectiveness and delivery of services.
· Oversee lobbying efforts, public relations and communication, and serve as advocate for the city’s parks and open space system.
· Direct, oversee and develop the divisional budget, forecast additional fund needs, and explore and establish stable financial resources to implement division priorities.
· Work with and establish effective working relationships with organized labor groups.
· Working knowledge and experience with asset management.
· Thorough knowledge of both the operational and administrative aspects of a complex municipal government operating division.
· Ability to convey a compelling vision of the future for parks & open space services in Eugene and to inspire the staff to collaboratively work toward implementation of that vision
· Model the highest standards of integrity and ethical behavior.
To be considered for this position, candidates must have six years of responsible program management experience in parks maintenance, planning, natural resource management, or other related field that includes administrative and supervisory responsibility and a bachelor’s degree in landscape architecture, horticulture, natural resource management, environmental science, parks and recreation management, public administration, or closely related field.
In addition to the salary listed above, upon eligibility, the City will contribute the employee contribution of 6% and the employer contribution to a retirement program administered by the Oregon Public Employees' Retirement System (PERS). In addition, for non-represented employees who defer a minimum of 3% of their base salary into the City's deferred compensation plan, the City will reimburse them 2% of their salary through a Deferred Compensation Benefit added to salary.
Applicants are screened based upon their relevant knowledge, abilities, skills, experience, and training. The selection process varies according to the position and can include such things as screening of supplemental questionnaires, written or skill tests, ability or fitness tests, interviews, and assessment processes. In addition, background investigations and records checks may be required. Some positions also require applicants to have a psychological evaluation and/or physical examination and a drug test prior to employment. Applicants selected to continue in the process will be notified within two-three weeks after the posting deadline.
The City of Eugene complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Any applicant with a qualified disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act may request accommodation by contacting an employment coordinator at (541) 682-5061.
In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, the City of Eugene will request all eligible candidates who accept employment with the City to provide documentation to prove they are eligible for employment in the United States.
The City of Eugene is committed to a work environment which values the cultural, educational, and life experiences of each employee. We believe that a diverse workforce enables us to deliver culturally competent service to all members of our community. As part of our commitment to diversity, the City continues to be an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, people with disabilities, and persons of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
City of Eugene, OR - 13 months ago