At the City of Olathe, Kansas we are “Setting the Standard for Excellence in Public Service” and we have the results and the awards to prove it! W e have received national recognition for everything from Tree City USA 2012 Designation to Dream Design by Aquatics International . Our customer service results lead the public sector, and our city has been recognized by Fast Company magazine as a Fast City, and Money magazine as a “best place to live”.
To continue this trend of excellence, we are recruiting for a Director of Parks and Recreation with a passion for fun. We are looking for an experienced leader who can chart the course, inspire the staff and transform the department. In this role, you will lead a team in developing and implementing an innovative business plan that “ cares for the spaces, places, and active lifestyles that define Olathe's community identity and quality of life for all to enjoy.” Your scope would include Parks, Recreation, Historic Sites, Cemetery, Housing & Transportation, and Facility & Park Maintenance.
On your first day on the job, these exciting challenges await you:
Enduring goals for the Director and the Parks and Recreation team include:
- Updating the Master Plan to better position the department for the future which includes extending the Park Sales Tax set to expire in 2014.
- Completing construction of Community Center by mid-2014.
- Enhancing public art.
- Evaluating the expansion of youth sports programs.
- Planning the extension of the parks sales tax.
You will also collaborate with the City’s Leadership Team to make strategic visionary decisions that ensure Olathe continues to lead the nation in values-driven performance.
- Matching community and Council expectations for parks and recreation facilities, diversity, inclusion, housing and transportation outreach. Using user surveys, public perception surveys, public meetings, commissions and foundations, and feedback from federal government agencies and grantors. Partnering with the Parks and Recreation Foundation, to provide ongoing public direction and oversight.
- Aligning maintenance operations in all divisions to maximize crew skills and competencies and outsourcing opportunities. Designing and building park facilities to minimize maintenance impacts while maximizing value to our customers.
- Developing a communication approach to maximize opportunities to market the department in a changing communication culture. Adapting our recreation program to the changing needs of the community. Partnering with Olathe Human Relations Commission, and the Persons with Disabilities Advisory Board to provide ongoing public direction and oversight.
- Aligning administrative functions and overall staffing to meet changing demands.
- Ensuring that our aging housing stock is maintained and marketable. Purchasing foreclosed homes to expand housing opportunities for low income working families. Partnering with the Olathe Housing Authority Board of Commissioners, to provide ongoing public direction and oversight.
- Adapting our taxi programs to the changing demographics of the community.
- Expanding period farming and livestock living history program at Mahaffie. Partnering with the Mahaffie Foundation to provide ongoing public direction and oversight.
If our values of customer service, learning, communication, teamwork and leadership through service align with yours, and you have proven success in leading a team of professionals to ever higher levels of performance, we would like to meet you! Below are the other qualifications we seek:
Experience & Education:
At least ten years of experience in parks and recreation, including at least seven years administrative and/or supervisory responsibility, and demonstrative political acumen.
Bachelor's degree or above from an accredited college or university with major course work in Park Management, Planning, Recreation, Public Administration, or related field. Master's degree preferred.
We offer a highly competitive total compensation package and opportunities for your growth and development.
Salary is depending on qualifications.